Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to fit 3.5" in 5" bay?

Options
  • 07-07-2007 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

I have the P180 case from Antec.

What is the best way to mount a 3.5" hard drive into a 5" bay?
    I have already filled the two 3.5" bays provided.

I'd like a solution that reduced noise, just like the 3.5" bay does on the P180.

Thanks

Ray

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

These bay adapters fit the bill, used them before and work well enough though they don't cancel out all the noise from the HD just in case your close to the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

erm... for you to of filled the up the drive bays in the P180 must mean you have at least 6 HDDs? Have you used up the 3.5" floppy bay as well? If not you could mount a HDD in there.

Why do you have so many HDD's in your system anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭trackerman

I only have 2 HDD's in my system, but the P180 only seems to hold 2 in the slide out 3.5" tray with rubber mounts, all the other trays seem to be 5" and I did'nt find any additional brackets/rubber mounts for 5" bays.

Good point about the floppy bay, but I suspect it won't enable me to mount with rubber gromits.

L31mr0d wrote:
    erm... for you to of filled the up the drive bays in the P180 must mean you have at least 6 HDDs? Have you used up the 3.5" floppy bay as well? If not you could mount a HDD in there.

Why do you have so many HDD's in your system anyway?

Does the rubber prevent vibration from being conducted to the chassis?

If so, then these are perfect for my needs.

Thanks
    8T8 wrote:
    These bay adapters fit the bill, used them before and work well enough though they don't cancel out all the noise from the HD just in case your close to the PC.

• Advertisement

??? Ok i'm seriously confused here.

Is this the case you have?

If so the bottom HDD cage (the one in the same chamber as the PSU with the 12cm between them) can hold 4 HDD on the rubber gromets.

The upper HDD cage (infront of the middle 12cm intake fan) can hold 2 drives on the included sliding drive trays. You can also try to fit one in the floppy bay.

See the picture below:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

trackerman wrote:
    Does the rubber prevent vibration from being conducted to the chassis?

If so, then these are perfect for my needs.

Thanks

Yeah thats pretty much their purpose but it wont stop other noises from the HD when in use.

Thanks a million, I always thought that lower bay was for 5" drives. But now that you point it out, it's so obvious.

Now I'm sorted.

Cheers.

Ray
    L31mr0d wrote:
    ??? Ok i'm seriously confused here.

Is this the case you have?

If so the bottom HDD cage (the one in the same chamber as the PSU with the 12cm between them) can hold 4 HDD on the rubber gromets.

The upper HDD cage (infront of the middle 12cm intake fan) can hold 2 drives on the included sliding drive trays. You can also try to fit one in the floppy bay.

See the picture below:

Yeah the drives stand on their sides and you use those long screws with the flat round heads to hold them in place.

Advertisement