Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help lads

Options
  • 07-07-2007 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

looking for a bit of help, anyone?

Im planning on building my first p.c(sick of the piece of **** im running) dont have a CLUE what im doing at the mo but im researching a good bit.
    I've got roughly 1000/1200 to spend.

Mainly it will be used for music,browsing, bit of photoshop etc . . nothing major.
    Id like to be able to watch dvd's and streaming videos on it when sitting across the room if you get me.

sound is the main thing,Just bought the logitech z560 speakers(fantastic) so id like to take advantage of them.

not into gaming really but i wouldnt mind having the option to play some good games on it.

CAn anyone get me started?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well here are some suggestions

CPU:Core 2 Duo E6700 - good CPU ideal for photoshop work.

Mobo:MSI P35 - latest Intel chipset very reliable & this model comes with firewire support though you can get cheaper versions.

RAM:2GB DDR-2 800 - the standard for power users as this time.

HD:Western Digital SE16 500GB - a very good performing HD and lots of storage space.

DVDRW:NEC SATA - quite in use and decent writer plus SATA connection means less cables to mess with.

GPU:ATI X1950 Pro - still the best card around €150 mark.

OS: Windows Vista Home Premium - if you want to watch videos, DVD's, streaming video away from the PC then Windows Media Centre which is built into Vista is the easiest way to do it.

MC: The Windows Media Centre Remote - used to control the UI from a distance.

PSU:Seasonic 500W PSU - very high quality and quiet.

Cases are terribly subjective so really your best going with what you like the look of the most.

Total not counting case is €1092 so room left in the budget for the case, you can of course tone down some of the choices as they are all on the more pricey side of the scale and cheaper options are available.

In regards the sound system the motherboard comes with an integrated HD audio chip which can drive the 4.1 Logitech speakers you have, if you wanted something a bit better there is Creative's X-Fi but I would wait and see how the integrated audio fairs first before spending money on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Are we talkin' ex-monitor here?, if so I'd agree with a lot of the above, I'd make some changes though:
    CPU - E6420
    Mobo - Abit IP35 Pro
    RAM - OCZ Platinum Rev.2
    PSU - Corsair HX520, produced by Seasonic but even quieter and modular.
    The reason I recommend the E6420 is overclocking, you can easily exceed the performance of more expensive Core 2 Duo's with just a mild overclock. On the sound, I'd avoid an X-Fi if you don't want EAX, you can get better soundcards. Shop at hardwareversand.de and overclockers.co.uk, you'll get better prices for the most part.

Advertisement