Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Age Card vs National ID

• 08-07-2007 1:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭

heh, just figured out (i think) that they are NOT the same thing... and I am in the process of working on getting a Working Holiday Visa for New Zealand. I need a second form of ID after my passport and it doesnt quite look like my age card will cut it...

anyone else have a similar thing? will my age card be ok? where do i actually get a national ID card?

(and how much is this working visa gonna cost... i need a credit card, but cant seem to find the price...)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

narco wrote:
    where do i actually get a national ID card?
    Ireland doesn't have one.

Do you have a student or work ID?

TBH, talk to the NZ embassey and ask them what hey accept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

ah, well thats better anyway.. nah, used to be a student, left college, and my id got nicked with my wallet last october. yeah, guess ill have to ask the embassy. ugh. formality :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Sit a driver theory test (very easy) and get yourself a provisional driving license. You could probably do this in about a month. Use that as your 2nd ID ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I thought a garda ID WAS our National Age Card

Ask the embassy, cos I'd say its grand

the hell ye go through to get it alone should prove its authenticity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The Garda Age card is just a proof of age card as far as I know and not to be used as ID, don't think it is much use for travel abroad but not entirely sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 dogslife2014

Age Cards have in the past only been issued to young people for the purpose of verifying their age. However upon enquiries that I recently made: Age Cards are now being issued as a means of proving ones identity and are now available to people regardless of age. This information was given to me by a member of Garda Siochana only this week and I have now applied online for an Age Card (John, 46yo). I expect that this service will be revamps and that sometime in the near future there will be an announcement, I imagine the card will be rename and regarded as Ireland's National Identity Card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Age Cards have in the past only been issued to young people for the purpose of verifying their age. However upon enquiries that I recently made: Age Cards are now being issued as a means of proving ones identity and are now available to people regardless of age. This information was given to me by a member of Garda Siochana only this week and I have now applied online for an Age Card (John, 46yo). I expect that this service will be revamps and that sometime in the near future there will be an announcement, I imagine the card will be rename and regarded as Ireland's National Identity Card.

Hi there dogslife2014 & Welcome to boards.ie :)

I have closed this thread & I have to ask you not to resurrect auld threads (this one being from 2007) & especially to make a point with no linkie or substance, only hearsay. If you could send me on some proof of what you've said, then I'll move your post into a new thread for you no bother!

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement