Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts at NUIM

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Jr.Hero

LeixlipRed wrote:
    I'm pretty sure there are some subjects in Arts that you cant do beyond first year. Not 100% sure of that now

yea thats right, biology can only been taken in first year, don't know of any other first year only subjects though.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Physics with Astrononony & Biology can only be taken in first year.
    Please read
    http://admissions.nuim.ie/subjects/documents/ArtsIntroLeaflet.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

Ah. I get you now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

http://www.maths.nuim.ie/staff/dredmond/timetable/ is the link to the provisional arts timetable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

nice wan, if that sticks then I've got 3 day weekends!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Nerfmenow

I heard that lectures aren't mandatory but there's a certain percentage that you've gotta attend. Anyone shed some light on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Nerfmenow wrote:
    I heard that lectures aren't mandatory but there's a certain percentage that you've gotta attend. Anyone shed some light on this?
    You do not have to do anything never go to a lecture, lab or tut that is all up to you if you want to go.

Now is it worth a percentage most subjects with labs dont but others might which dont have labs.

Some take attence but most dont bother or if they do they get their friends to sign them in. Most of mine didnt take attence but they did in labs so we went in signed our name & student number and left :D

Like CS220 Computer Architecture I had a nice 12% attence for the sem :D like come on 9am on a Monday morning :mad: not a hope of me going to that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Nerfmenow wrote:

For arts there's no mandatory lectures, but if you are in a small subject (e.g. Irish) and the lecturer knows who you are then they can stop you from taking the exam at the end of the semester if they think that you don't deserve to. If you are in English or other big subjects its unlikely to happen, but it might in some of the smaller modules. In final year my chosen history modules had a role taken and if you missed a certain percentage then you got in trouble, but you had to miss a lot. Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

A few of the faculties are strict on attendance. But most don't care. But obviously if you don't go to labs or tutorials you can't get the CA marks that may go with them. My advice would be to go to everything in the last two years of your degree. Before that you can afford to miss lectures, etc once you put the work in on your own time. First year should be spend racing shopping trolleys down Main Street while locked out of your face :D

So true...Although you can drift through second year in Arts and still do fine, but its better if you dont....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

Second year seems like more of a balancing act.
    You've got to convince the people who might matter that you try at least.

I think third year is more like, I'm a selfish bastard, I don't care anymore, get out of my way, I'll see what I can do with a goal that I'm actually content achieving or at least proving that I can have conviction...not that anyone else will care.

pisslips wrote:
    Second year seems like more of a balancing act.
    You've got to convince the people who might matter that you try at least.

I think third year is more like, I'm a selfish bastard, I don't care anymore, get out of my way, I'll see what I can do with a goal that I'm actually content achieving or at least proving that I can have conviction...not that anyone else will care.

That's exactly it. You have to be a brown nose half the time, and it helps if you cut off friends and booze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

So what you're saying is, don't be a waster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

That's exactly it. You have to be a brown nose half the time, and it helps if you cut off friends and booze.

And what are the chances of me ever doing that....No, I think the moral is to learn how to have your cake and eat it too, then you shall inheret the earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Coco88

pisslips wrote:
    And what are the chances of me ever doing that....No, I think the moral is to learn how to have your cake and eat it too, then you shall inheret the earth.

Well said:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭bheart65

Hi all,

Just wondering what first year geography is like - tough, easy etc. I am considering it as one of my options but am unsure. I will have a 2 hour commute every day over and back (mature student) and was wondering what the home assignments are like eg. lots of reading etc. Any help greatly appreciated. Was considering Comp. Sci. also but not sure now after reading some of the module info. Seems very complicated. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

bheart65 wrote:
    Hi all,

Just wondering what first year geography is like - tough, easy etc. I am considering it as one of my options but am unsure. I will have a 2 hour commute every day over and back (mature student) and was wondering what the home assignments are like eg. lots of reading etc. Any help greatly appreciated. Was considering Comp. Sci. also but not sure now after reading some of the module info. Seems very complicated. :confused:
    Not a Arts student (thank god) but I know that geography have open book class tests and you are always in JH1 (the biggest lecture theater) but I am a Computer Science student, they have changed the course a little this year for the none CSSEs I know you dont do databases this year.

Computer Sci - Through Arts:

CS151 - Discrete Structures 1 -- I did this last year its all about true or false very easy to pass you will be dealing with Truth tables

CS141 - Introduction to Programming -- This is a new subject but it sounds like alot like the mod(CS154) I did last year. If you have any knowledge of coding (ie HTML) you will def do well in this subject.

CS142 - Introduction to Computer Science -- This is the same as CS156 last year. Alot of ppl dropped CS because of this mod but I find it easy but at the time I didnt.

CS143 - Introduction to Computer Systems -- Also like CS154 from last year and should be very easy but then again I didnt do this mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭bheart65

Thanks Eamoss for the info. Excuse my ignorance, but I presume you mean that Geography students are allowed to look up answers in a book during a test? Sounds like a doddle. As regards the Computer Science, I am only an entry level tech at present A+ and Network+ , and wouldn't have any coding experience. Once again, thanks for the info.

Advertisement