Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting a fram

Options
  • 08-07-2007 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here ever painted a frame? If so, do you have any tips on the best way to do it?

One specific question I have is do you need to sand the frame before applying a primer?

(Darn. Wish I'd spelt "frame" right in the thread title. Too late to change it...)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i've seen people try this a fair few times and never seen good results tbh. but the best method is to strip the paint if its a currently painted frame, spray primer, sand back and then spray paint, lacquer(sp?)

I believe there are places that will powder coat it for you reasonably cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Where can get you get powder coating on a bike done reasonably cheaply in Dublin, do you know?

In any case, I don't mind if it doesn't look 100% professional. It's a frame from the early 1980s and it has a fair bit of rusting so it's mainly to protect it from further corrosion. However, I would like it to have a consistent colour. It doesn't matter much if the finish is a bit "matt" or whatever.
    copacetic wrote:
    i've seen people try this a fair few times and never seen good results tbh. but the best method is to strip the paint if its a currently painted frame, spray primer, sand back and then spray paint, lacquer(sp?)

I believe there are places that will powder coat it for you reasonably cheap.

not sure about dublin, i think there is a place in the uk that lets you design a paint scheme online and then does a perfect finish for you.

however in your case I'd just wirebrush the rust, prime those sections, sand back so that these sections are seamless with the paintwork and then use hammerite. Its expensive but gives a very tough hardwearing finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Cheers. Should I give it more than one coat of Hammerite?
    copacetic wrote:
    not sure about dublin, i think there is a place in the uk that lets you design a paint scheme online and then does a perfect finish for you.

however in your case I'd just wirebrush the rust, prime those sections, sand back so that these sections are seamless with the paintwork and then use hammerite. Its expensive but gives a very tough hardwearing finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

My old Trek OCLV carbon frame is a bit shabby now. I would love to get it stripped and repainted, does anyone have the website of that English place. I hear there was a place in Ireland that did that too. I wonder can they do it with Carbon frames ?

• Advertisement

one of the english ones is here, but not sure this is the one I heard is good previously:

http://www.triple-s.co.uk/bicycle.htm

have a look on the cyclingplus.co.uk forums, there will be someone there who has had it done recently.

they won't do carbon I'd imagine, powder coating is based on earthing the frame which won't work at all with carbon. also I believe the carbon weave is very sensitive to certain paints and could be damaged if you do things wrong. So i'd be very careful with it..

Advertisement