Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three gprs settings?

Options
  • 08-07-2007 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi All

I'm looking to switch to 3 as their data bundle is is great compared to VF who I'm currently with (€10 for 250MB Vs €15 for 250MB)

My only problem is I use a windows mobile device for exchange email so I need to get the GPRS settings and input them myself as 3 wont support my own device. I've done this with Vodafone no problem but cant seem to find 3s settings anywhere.

2Qs

Does the 3 network even support GPRS?
    Does anyone have 3's GPRS settings? (IP nos, DNS, username, password, AP etc)

Thanks in advance for any help
    rgds
    gerryR

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

APN is 3ireland.ie, you can leave username and password blank, DNS and IP nos are populated automatically upon connection.

Bear in mind that 3 works only with 3G phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jmalone

It is worth noting that you only get Data connection on the 3Ireland network when you are connected to a 3G base Station.

If you are connected to 2G base station, you can make & recieve calls, plus send/receive SMS, however you cannot get any form of data (like GPRS, EDGE etc).

When connected to a 2G basestation you are actually roamed on to the Vodafone Ireland network, however you are not billed for roaming calls.

This is a bit of a pain if you want to use email on your phone, as it will only work in certain areas - e.g - there is 3G signal in my house, however the Vodafone 2G signal is stronger, so the phone connects to Vodafone and I cannot rx/tx emails!

Cheers,

John

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

jmalone wrote: »
    there is 3G signal in my house, however the Vodafone 2G signal is stronger, so the phone connects to Vodafone and I cannot rx/tx emails!

Set the phone to 3G only, I do it when playing live poker on my phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jmalone

That is fine, however it is a pain, cos once you go out of 3G coverage (which is a lot of the time), then you have no mobile signal - you miss calls, etc.

Pity 3 Ireland do not have a data roaming aggrement with Vodafone as well as just voice - then you could have GPRS when 3G not avaialble. It is a big dis-advantage of their service, and it is not advertised!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

Gerry R,
    did you ever get 3's GPRS settings? (IP nos, DNS, username, password, AP etc).
    i need them to get a Windows Mobile device to access the internet via a 3 handset.
    thanks,
    trevor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

3's internet settings are in the sticky at the top of the forum

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59855450&postcount=43

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

gerryR wrote: »
    Hi All

I'm looking to switch to 3 as their data bundle is is great compared to VF who I'm currently with (€10 for 250MB Vs €15 for 250MB)

My only problem is I use a windows mobile device for exchange email so I need to get the GPRS settings and input them myself as 3 wont support my own device. I've done this with Vodafone no problem but cant seem to find 3s settings anywhere.

2Qs

Does the 3 network even support GPRS?
    Does anyone have 3's GPRS settings? (IP nos, DNS, username, password, AP etc)

Thanks in advance for any help
    rgds
    gerryR

why are you only getting 250MB and at €15? Current add on offers are Vodafone live 500MB for €10 and Vodafone ISP which is 1G for €10.

EDIT: just saw date of first post. Damn Zombie threads!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 steo2009

hi dose anyone know how to fix a problem im have with a phone,

its a htc g1 for network settings at the moment its not even getting 2g coverage just working of roaming data.

im looking for the following info.

Name
    APN
    Proxy
    Port
    Username
    Password
    Server
    MMSC
    MMS Porxy
    MMS Port
    MCC
    MNC
    APN Type

i rang to three helpline the gave me some info but its just not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

3 ISP (Internet)

data bearer: packet data
    APN: 3ireland.ie
    username: none
    prompt password:no
    password: none
    authentication:normal
    homepage:http://mobile.3ireland.ie/hb/HutchKey/
    network type:IPv4
    phone IP address:automatic
    name servers (DNS): automatic
    proxy address:none
    proxy port:0

hi thanks for the fast reply

just about some of the settings is any off the following needed

mmsc
    mms port
    mcc

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

steo2009 wrote: »
    hi thanks for the fast reply

just about some of the settings is any off the following needed

mmsc
    mms port
    mcc

thanks

They are for the multi media messages

ok thanks, i still cant set up a gmail account with the phone there seems to be go 3g data connection with the phone. but thanks for your help.

Advertisement