Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballygunner or Knockboy

• 08-07-2007 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Which is the correct name for the village at the top of the hill from Orpen's?

I would always have referred to it as Ballygunner, since the church, hurling club and national school are all called after Ballygunner. The name "Knockboy Church" just doesn't sound right.

However, the city council have a small estate there called "Knockboy Village" and signs on the Outer Ring Road point out the Williamstown Road to "Knockboy". I always thought that Knockboy was just the area at the bottom of the hill, down near Orpen's.

Anyone able to clear up my confusion?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

Ballygunner is the name of the town land, Knockboy is the name of the village which consisted of the church and some houses that have mostly been removed, but the remains of some can still be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Thanks Ballybrickenman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Everywhere above that small road by the church is Ballygunner, below that road, its Knockboy.

The village there is Knockboy Village, and the smaller group of houses below it, is Knockboy heights. The whole hill where those ugly new houses were built, used to be covered in Gorse bushes, and was called Cnoc Bui (Yellow Hill) in Irish, that got anglicised to Knocboy (silly brits :p ). And for those wondering, Orpens is now Becketts (after the writer) since it was sold and renovated a few months back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Orpens is now Becketts

I know... but yet I wrote Orpen's in my original post! It's just a reflex! So hard to get used to new names when you're over thirty. I used to laugh at my mother talking about "Swift's Factory" (apparently that was the '50s/'60s name for the building that up to recently housed the WIT art college). Now I understand how she feels!

Advertisement