Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New security fitted...

• 08-07-2007 3:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭

Well folks, just finished laying a new 12' x 10' slab of concrete out the back-was getting fed up of the limited bike manouvering space. While I was at it I installed a Y-anchor. Brilliant thing really. So simple. It's laid in about 10" deep solid (well, it will be!) concrete and best of luck to any wide boy trying to dig it out :D

It will mean any thief will have to cut the chain. It's far superior to my old oxford surface mount anchors as there is absolutely nothing to attack-all flush with the concrete surface, though they'll do for something else.

In short, I'd highly recommend installing a Y anchor (even if you make one yourself) if you're doing any concrete work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Good stuff but your security is only as good as the weakest point and this will probably be the chain now

Hope you've a good quality chain or maybe even 3 or 4 good quality chains

Ok, 4 chains is overkill but I use three chains to a railing (2 at back and one at front), a disclock,an alarm and a ugly old raincover that would put anyone off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Yeah I've a couple of very thick linked chains which are nice and short and will work well with the anchor as you just park directly over it and it means the chain is wrapped tight around the wheel. It increases the chances of them damaging the wheel if they try to cut the chain. My bikes aren't even that expensive, nothing over 1500~2000 and I keep just one at my house cos the old man has a secure garage I have the use of.

I think the most important thing with bikes is to have them out of public view. If they don't know you have it you're starting with an advantage.

It sounds like your weakest link is the railing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

murphaph wrote:

It sounds like your weakest link is the railing!

They'd cut my railing :eek: .
    Landlord wouldn't be happy with that

They can try it but three chains are attached to three different metal bars so unless they have an angle grinder it'll take a while.

Besides, the guy across the road has a far more desirable bike than me and that's the best security of all ;)

Advertisement