Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista Home Basic v Vista Home Premium

• 08-07-2007 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

As I just use the pc for writing letters, e-mail and internet would there be much point in me getting Vista Home Premium with a Dell pc instead of Vista Home Basic?

Would Vista Home Basic be at least as good as Windows XP Home which I currently have?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yes it will be about the same.. however premium does not cost much more and it comes with the media centre stuff as well as the aero interface etc.
    For the price of a chinese meal you might be better off getting premium.. however if you do not care about the shiny aero interface and media stuff then just go with basic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭zoe

Thanks Saruman.

What's the aero interface? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Merrion

I suggest you get basic version and if you find yourself needing the premium version there's a built in tool that can upgrade you to premium (for a sum of money of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Aero gives you the 3d window changer, it also makes windows transparent so you can sort of see whats behind each window etc.
    google aero interface and you will see what im talking about better than describing it on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Merrion wrote:
    I suggest you get basic version and if you find yourself needing the premium version there's a built in tool that can upgrade you to premium (for a sum of money of course)
    Bad suggestion. It costs around 125 euro to upgrade to premium through the Anytime Upgrade feature as opposed to ~30 euro at the time of purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭zoe

I just found this about upgrading...
    https://emea.windowsanytimeupgradestore.com/WAU_DIRECT/Home.aspx

So due to the cost, as kaizersoze mentioned, it's best to purchase whichever one you want to have rather than upgrading later.

I googled the aero interface, and it looks interesting. I'm not sure if it's something I would need, but maybe I'll take the Visa Premium when purchasing the PC.

Out of curiosity, what is the media centre stuff which Premium has and Basic doesn't? Is it for video, and online radio stations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Windows Media Centre which is built into Vista Home Premium & Ultimate is a 10 foot user interface intended for media playback (see microsoft site).

It can playback movies, videos, music, pictures, record TV & radio and act as a personal video recorder with an EPG. It has a lot of plugins that enhance functionality further and you can install video codecs to increase support for other video types to play back.

It is primarily meant for home theater PC's but you can easily use it for big screen media playback, there is also a remote for it.

It's a great piece of software if you have a lot of media as it is very easy to get up and running.

As for Aero well it would make things more snappy as the GPU does most of the work when Aero is enabled instead of the CPU for drawing everything on screen and it is generally a slicker UI but it is not essential.

Advertisement