Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Life with Woodpecker by Tom Robbins

Options
  • 08-07-2007 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

I'm reading this book at the moment and absolutely love it, I find it somewhat of a modern classic, personally speaking.

Just wondering if anyone else has read or is reading this book at the moment or any other work by Tom Robbins and what they think of it.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

That's one of my favourite of Robbins' work (perhaps because I'm a redhead ;) )

Though my absolute favourite has to be either Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates or Skinny Legs and All.

I really like the way he writes his female characters and if you read of his short work (in Wild Ducks Flying Backwards) you can see why, he loves women and all their little intricacies.

I've never found any of his work to be boring and have never had to give up half way through.

I do find that some of his later work is not as good as some of the more recent books but they're still good.

There was an interesting quote from another author (can't remember who I'm afraid) who said that working with Robbins was unlike working with anyone else as instead of writing through a chapter and revising it revises his work sentence by sentence, then when he has a sentence perfect he won't change it again. This is probably the reason it takes him so long to write a novel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

THe way in which he's able to write from the female perspective, especially the female sexual perspective, is quite extraordinary imo.

Advertisement