Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Online dating?

• 08-07-2007 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Recently met someone online and everything is going so well. Were both in awe felt like weve known eachother forever, just worried about the stigmatism of online dating. Anyone any experience on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

The only stigma is the one you allow yourself to feel.

Meeting online is a perfectly normal thing to do nowadays, it's just another medium.

You are both crazy about each other, enjoy the ride. Anyone who isn't happy for you, you can do without.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Just enjoy yourself, online dating is very common these days and as mentioned if you are happy them those who are around you will like to see that regardless of the situation. Hope it works out (it did for me though not from a dating website and everyone loves to hear the story of how we met online and everything after, I never hide it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i met my man online about two years ago, and i have to say, it's the most incredible relationship ive ever been in (and ever want to be in). unfortunately, factors such as age (hes a good bit older than me) and distance (hes from the opposite side of the globe) weird people out EVEN MORE when you mention that you met online... some of my mates think its awesome, nad are really encouraging and enthusiastic, others think its weird and doomed to failure.

to be honest, the view taken by people generally seems to be formed on their experience with communicating with people online. my friends who spend time on message boards, and have developed friendships and relationships with people like that are mostly for my relationship, and those who just bebo their mates from school or read about paedos etc in the papers think im crazy.

but f*ck them, i know ive got something amazing with my guy, and if htey cant be happy for me, that's their problem. i know i have a rule with my best mate just to not bring it up if shes only gonna insult him:rolleyes:

best of luck with it mate, and *raises glass* long may it last:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

While it is quite common to meet people online these days there is a stigma attached in certain circles. But from reading your post you sound incredicbly happy with this person so please please do not let the views of narrow minded people influence your well being. Go for it, I wish you all the best :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Online dating is good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

The times we live in.

I was at a wedding last year where the couple had met online. It works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

m83 wrote:
    While it is quite common to meet people online these days there is a stigma attached in certain circles. But from reading your post you sound incredicbly happy with this person so please please do not let the views of narrow minded people influence your well being. Go for it, I wish you all the best :)

What are the 'certain circles' you mention m83 :confused:

It *almost* sounds like a personal opinion poster :D

Of course it couldn't be, you'd never hide behind blithe generalisations would you? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 goatsplitter

<snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

goatsplitter banned for persistently refusing to stop posting an individual's name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

MojoMaker wrote:
    What are the 'certain circles' you mention m83 :confused:

It *almost* sounds like a personal opinion poster :D

Of course it couldn't be, you'd never hide behind blithe generalisations would you? ;)

What the hell are you talking about? Get over yourself.

I'm work in an extremely male dominated environment and i know for a fact that if I told the guys i had met a girl online that i'd get ripped apart for being a nerd or a perv or otherwise. Circles like this exist, deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

i met my gf online but I've told my friends i met her in a pub. I have told some people the truth and I'm not too worried about it. Over here (in the US) most people have probably tried internet dating but its still seen as a little odd to publically talk about meeting someone online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'at the end of the day do whatever you want and dont listen to anyone else. what happened to freedom of expression anyway? we are entitled to it by law but are shot down if we try to use it.........'

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I think if anything it's becoming less of deal than before. I certainly wouldn't think it was at all that odd if someone told me they met their other half online. I think online dating probably suffered from people thinking along the same lines as those ads you see in Buy and Sell or the like for personals.

I've never tried it, but I certainly wouldn't have a problem doing so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭JungleBunny

I met my now fiance online. Just bought a house together and are planning our wedding for sometime next year hopefully.
    Things are going great. I think pretty much everyone knows where and how we met and no one seems to care at all to be honest.

It's only a problem, if you let it be one and if you are bothered by it.

Good Luck and I hope it lasts!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

coz wrote:
    Recently met someone online and everything is going so well. Were both in awe felt like weve known eachother forever, just worried about the stigmatism of online dating. Anyone any experience on this?

you did it, and you're not weird. The person you met is not weird. So why should anyone else who does it be weird? don't worry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

If someone I knew told me they met their partner through online dating, I wouldn't bat an eyelid....as people have already said, it's just a modern way of meeting new people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

There is nothing weird about it but there is a stigma attached. The stigma is not justified.

MM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭hanni1234

I think meeting people online is too dodgy

I met my boyfriend on a travel website - it wasn't offically a date when we met up first - well from my point of view, I thought if I met a new friend, that'd be nice,but since we were both interested in each other that's the way things went.

It was strange to meet someone where there's no mutual friends introducing you, or out in the same club liking the same music etc, but you know I really don't know if either of us would have spoken to each other if we met in a club. That's if we even ended up in the same club. But now 8months on, we're still together, I'm cracked about him, and I assume he likes me too :D Or I suppose I wouldn't have met his mother after two months :D

I never thought you could compare meeting on the net to meeting in person, because you can't see how the person behaves, how they smell, what their laugh is like etc (all the silly things that make you love someone). But that's stuff you build up once you see what their emails etc are like!

I can completely understand feeling a bit iffy about saying you met on a website - I'm always quick to say it was a Travel website not a Dating website, but you know what, if you've met someone that you really want to be with, who really cares. And if anyone slags you for meeting someone you love on a website, I reckon they're jealous that they had to resort to ten pints to pull their other half. Since I think I wouldn't have met my boyfriend in Dublin any other way, I've a lot to thank the internet for :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

I'd be interested in giving online dating a shot. A friend of mine met his wife online (not via a dating site) and she's lovely.

My work circumstances make it tough to meet new people and my friends have all matched up and settled down.

What sites should I go to?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

hanni1234 wrote:
    I think meeting people online is too dodgy

Can I ask why you think so? Do you know someone who tried it? Same thing as meeting a dodgy man/women at a bar, in fact you might get to know the person online more before meeting with phone calls, etc. :)

as far as the 'certain circles' thing goes, it's kinda what i said earlier.. the people who dont have experience with people online (like message boards or the like), do tend to find it odder than people who do.

im goin to my man's (we met on a message board) brother's wedding in december, and he met his wife on an online dating site, as far as i know, so its definitely becoming more common, and the more people see it working, the less stigmatised it's becoming...

of course, i still hear 'well you were lucky'... but, meh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Plateau

Do these sites usually cost money? Had a look at one and they were charging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I met my gf on myspace and I can honestly say she is the coolest, funniest, sweetest and hottest girl I've ever been with.
    I was telling my brother's mate the other day about it and how sometimes I get a little embarrassed telling people that. He instantly asked me "is it worse than meeting someone pissed drunk in a pub and shagging her?"
    I spend at least as much time online as I do in bars, so what's the problem???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The-Rigger wrote:
    Meeting online is a perfectly normal thing to do nowadays, it's just another medium.
    Spot on! Then again, there are those who are late adopters of any change that sweeps the globe and miss out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

davyjose wrote:
    "is it worse than meeting someone pissed drunk in a pub and shagging her?"

its better and has always been my on stance on it. think about it.

better to say you shagged her while she was pissed outa her mind and rolled over and started a relationship coz even though the sex wasnt great, you remembered her name and she didnt look half bad in the morning

or

that you got chating on myspace or a forum and learnt some things about eachother and feel a surprising buzz and decided to take a risk and meet up because you were curious?

at least you know a bit about them and its NOT the most embarassing way to start a relationship.

i met my bf online by accident on myspace. best relationship ever.
    saying that i wouldnt have agreed to a internet relationship only a real life one. for instance i dont understand ppl in relationships who have never met eachother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

i met my bf online by accident on myspace. best relationship ever.
    saying that i wouldnt have agreed to a internet relationship only a real life one. for instance i dont understand ppl in relationships who have never met eachother.

It happens, but real life is real life at the end of the day.

Good way of meeting people with little expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Plateau wrote:
    Do these sites usually cost money? Had a look at one and they were charging.
    http://ie.flirtbox.co.uk/
    First result on googling free irish dating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Plateau

biko wrote:
    http://ie.flirtbox.co.uk/
    First result on googling free irish dating

So you have thoroughly investigated it and can heartily recommend it then? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

for instance i dont understand ppl in relationships who have never met eachother.
    it's possible... just not preferable... cos of the distance, it was about a year and a half before i met my guy, but (visa depending), after just over two years, we're moving in together the end of this year.

it sucks, but definitely possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

coz wrote:
    Becoming increasingly common and acceptable these days, even get increasing numbers of people getting engaged and married to people they meet in online games. When the entire world is accessible on the internet and people spend more of their free time on the internet it's just an example of society adapting.
    narco wrote:
    of course, i still here 'well you were lucky'... but, meh...
    Well this is the downside, as you have more choice of potentials you have a lot more bad ones/mismatches to filter out, just like when looking online for information, lots of junk to sort through in order to pick out the useful sites.

farohar wrote:
    Well this is the downside, as you have more choice of potentials you have a lot more bad ones/mismatches to filter out, just like when looking online for information, lots of junk to sort through in order to pick out the useful sites.

well, to be honest, we didnt meet on a dating site... twas a message board (like this but smaller, and music related/centred). just kept runnin into each other on teh same threads, turned out we'd loads in common... PMd each other .. became good friends... and the rest, as they say, is history....

i think the net is almost a better filter... like, in life.. you judge so much on how a person looks/dresses.. you'll both often have friends with you who can be judgemental/intimidating/steal her, whatever... :D

but online.. you really do tend to be brought together cos of the same interests, like mindedness, for me, im one of those horribly socially awkward people, tend to ramble, stutter... just quite nervey with new people... but online i can type thigns in my own time, without getting flustered... which put me at a more relaxed position to talk to my guy (and ive a good many good friends from the same board, some ive met, some i havent), and to let him see the real me.

(heh, im still quite rambly online... but at least you cant see me averting eye contact and fidgeting and stumbling over my sentences and blushing :D )

I met my now husband on line five years ago, had a great time chatting for about two months and then met up, I knew from the minute I met him that he was the one for me. Bit of stigma attached and people thinking it was strange, but not for us. Its great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I had of listened to the negative then I would never have met the man of my dreams.

Advertisement