Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats Up With My GearBox. Please.

Options
  • 08-07-2007 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Well its not mine as such. I helped pick it out as a first car for my sister. Its a 1.4 93 mk3 Golf CL. I picked this model as i have had two of them a find there great old cars. The car is in overall very good condition, apart from the tracking and a little noise from the PAS.

When i first drove it i found it a little hard to sometimes find 3rd and for some reason found myself thinking the gears were a little close? but put it down to been very pickey when buying, if you know what i mean.

Anyways, last week when puting it into second there were two or three knocks as if the gearbox was hiting the under neat of the cars body but she was still driving ok but today theres just a constant knocking, 1st & reverse. haven't tried the rest in case i do more damage.

Is the box in need of an overhaul or will it have to be replaced?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

Failed Engine/gearbox mount ? Are you sure it's the gearbox knocking and not something else, like the exhaust ? If my Mk3 golf gearbox hit the underneath of the car it would mean it's fallen out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Sounds to me like shift linkage (the bit that connects the gearstick to the gearbox).

Advertisement