Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bought sheet music but it's incorrect

Options
  • 08-07-2007 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I just got Nick Cave Anthology so I could learn Into My Arms on the piano. I was only three chords into the song when I realized that the print was wrong. For example, when he plays G, he uses B D G notes, not G B D as in the book.

I've never used sheet music before aside from nursery rhymes when I was learning :)

I'm curious - is this the standard with sheet music?

The book is a wise publication.

Thanks for reading,
    Merlin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Dregon

merlin_bar wrote:
    I just got Nick Cave Anthology so I could learn Into My Arms on the piano.

good song ;)

I've never seen sheet music been wrong, but i've seen some notes an octave higher/lower than they really are

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

I found a site that sells it
    http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/018567/details.html
    And explains that it has been simplified
    http://www.musicroom.com/ProductSkillLevel.aspx?skilllevel=3

Any idea how I'd go about getting an accurate version?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Sheet music is not always correct. I bought some SRV transcriptions from the montreaux concerts that are supposedly accurate :rolleyes: but ain't. Slowing down the solos reveals how those fast solos were really played.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

yeah you'd be better off trying to figure it out for yourself. Just use the anthology as a rough guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭TheBigRedDog

Hey, A lot of the time sheet music is done by musicians such as pianists who don't use the guitar system. They just use a straight efgabcd which can be mis-read when actually played on the guitar. Keep that in mind if you find some licks or riffs awkward. It might be easier down or up strings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i've never really seen sheet music for guitar anywho (although i've seen piano be wrong too mind you) of say pop/rock kinda stuff that i couldn't find a fault with, they all seem to be done as if from memory after only hearing it a handful of times at best, or as if they have no understanding of instrument (i.e. wrong chord shapes indicated, sometimes one's that are almost unplayable)

i prefer to go by ear personally at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Yeah, just get a rough idea of the melody and know the chord beneath it, and then you've a pretty good place to work out the tune from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

quite; i go to www.echords.com and work from what i get there...

i remember noel gallagher saying once in an interview that when Definitely Maybe came out, he picked up the sheet music and was amazed to see that there were suspended ninth chords in some of his songs...

the whole nature of music publishing is a funny one...i've always wondered how it goes from 'scribbled on the back of a fag packet at 3am' to 'anthology'

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Yeah, the whole thing is such a pain. I use Musicnotes.com myself, which has some really good trancriptions, and some crap ones. I need to preview them before buying.
    I'm still looking for the holy grail of sheet music... until the day when I can play complex pieces by ear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Oink wrote:
    I'm still looking for the holy grail of sheet music...

if ya ever find it, lets us know please!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement