Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The AMD-Intel price war

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

apart from a bottom of the range c2d which has been overlcocked will destroy it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Most people don't want to overclock though. I think that's a really decent price for that CPU.

Yeah it is a good price, But i cant understand this "wont/dont overclock" its just not natural to me to have components running at stock speeds :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

It is a great price for a CPU. I bought a 4400+ Brisbane for €70, but only because I had an AM2 board lying around.

Why oh why would you choose to build an AM2 rig from scratch?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,757 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Anti wrote:
    Yeah it is a good price, But i cant understand this "wont/dont overclock" its just not natural to me to have components running at stock speeds :(

Yes but good Overclocking boards cost money, as does Ram etc etc, you can plop that 6000 in a cheap crap board and you get that level of performance, you can't do that with the intel chip, you need the gear to go with it to OC it.

Horses for courses.

Inqui

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    It is a great price for a CPU. I bought a 4400+ Brisbane for €70, but only because I had an AM2 board lying around.

Why oh why would you choose to build an AM2 rig from scratch?

If you're a non-overclocker, then you get good performance for a very cheap price!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

True, and those brisbanes clock quite well if one decides to OC later, but I think the K8 seems to top out just over 3GHz.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Anti wrote:
    its just not natural to me to have components running at stock speeds :(

I'm the same. Particularly the CPU. GPU, tbh, I've never seen that much of a performance increase. But the 25% I got my my quad core for free = thanks.

Khannie wrote:
    I'm the same. Particularly the CPU. GPU, tbh, I've never seen that much of a performance increase. But the 25% I got my my quad core for free = thanks.

Nail + head.

You hit it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Khannie wrote:

How much of a performance increase did you see from that though? I'd be surprised if you could see much of a difference in game performance from an extra 25% on an already pretty fast chip...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

My problem with a new AM2 build isn't the speed of the components, it's the fact that I know AMD is going to screw over its users with new sockets every few months just like they did with 754/940. For a budget user, who is the only potential audience for an AMD setup at the moment, that's a big penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

The only time ill ever see a performance increase really is when I use a different pc which has lower specs than mine..

I think its the fact we all get used to the performance increase so quick we dont actually reaslise it. Only untill we use a pc thats not up to the same performace.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Advertisement