Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do's and Don't's when building a kennel

Options
  • 08-07-2007 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

Hi ya folks first posting in this section normally hovering around the DIY section.

Anyway - I'm about to build a kennel for a cross-breed (mostly labrador) anything you experienced dog owners would recommend.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Are you building a kennel as in a shelter or a dog run (as some people call dog runs kennels).

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Its a shelter (wooden structure). Just want to make sure I don't make any basic errors.

Is a flap door good or back
    Should it be insulated
    Want if any materials should I use inside the kennel
    Etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Have the door on the side of the kennel instead of at the front of it (if that makes sense), if you have the door at the front any draughts will go straight onto the dog.

Make sure the kennel is big enough for the dog to be able to comfoprtably turn around, stand up straight and lie out flat when fully grown.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

Maybe use pressure treated wood - will last longer and rounded supports on the inside of the box so the dog won't hurt itself too much. If there is a good seal - the house doesn't need insulating - wood is warm. Our one is made out of the wood that clicks into one another - nice and warm for puppy - but she's chewing on the door and struts inside...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If it's a timber kennel then Shiplap timber is best. You can get a pet safe woodstain in the Ronseal range in various colours. Not sure if putting the door on the side makes a difference the draughts will get in either way, however you could fit a dog flap onto the door of the kennel if the dog will use it. Have the roof part that's over the doorway good and long to stop rain falling straight down into the entrance.

Size wise make sure the kennel is large enough for the dog to stand up straight in, turn around in and stretch out fully in. Any larger though and the kennel will loose heat. You can insulate the inside using that insulation that comes in boards (kingspan or quinn) on the ceiling walls and floor or even just on the floor and then cover it over with exterior plywood to make it cosy.
    The usual felt for the roof.

Also it would need to sit on some concrete blocks so it's not right against the ground.

If you're really adventourous you could add a little timber porch at the entrance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

My kennel may not be very orthodox buy my dobies seem to like it. Its not outdoors but in the garage with my classics.

The dobies suffer more than most dogs from cold and can't be left in the house so I made this pretty large wooden cube. Each panel of the cube is made of two sheets heavy duty plywood with attic insulation in between and insulated on the inside with sheets of foam insulation.
    It weighs a ton but is resting on six heavy duty castor wheels so can be moved around the garage when necessary. As can be seen it has a large entrance with a sunken floor filled with straw. The small door flap is lowered at night for improved insulation. It of course has vents at the back for good air quality as it is completely sealed otherwise.

It has a home made air heating system which pumps mildly heated air in on frosty nights. It works on a timer at present but I am getting this changed to work on a thermostat switch. Naturally all electrics are removed from the dogs reach or contact with the dog house itself. :)
    The dogs try their best to destroy it so it needs a bit of attention now and again. :rolleyes:

IMAG0008-1.jpg

Folk many thanks for the suggestions

I have an idea what is required now in terms of size, insulation, door, etc

Cheers
    martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

My kennel may not be very orthodox buy my dobies seem to like it. Its not outdoors but in the garage with my classics.

The dobies suffer more than most dogs from cold and can't be left in the house so I made this pretty large wooden cube. Each panel of the cube is made of two sheets heavy duty plywood with attic insulation in between and insulated on the inside with sheets of foam insulation.
    It weighs a ton but is resting on six heavy duty castor wheels so can be moved around the garage when necessary. As can be seen it has a large entrance with a sunken floor filled with straw. The small door flap is lowered at night for improved insulation. It of course has vents at the back for good air quality as it is completely sealed otherwise.

It has a home made air heating system which pumps mildly heated air in on frosty nights. It works on a timer at present but I am getting this changed to work on a thermostat switch. Naturally all electrics are removed from the dogs reach or contact with the dog house itself. :)
    The dogs try their best to destroy it so it needs a bit of attention now and again. :rolleyes:

That is the dog kennel to end all dog kennels, really well thought out :)

How much did it cost to build?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Just an after thought and prob a bit late but when i built my kennel i put a window in it :o it allows the dog to see out without having to leave the kennel and lets a bit more light into the kennel also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

IMAG0008-1.jpg

Thats not a kennel, thats a one bed studio apartment. Do you charge them rent? :D

• Advertisement

Thats not a kennel, thats a one bed studio apartment. Do you charge them rent?

Hee,hee,hee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Nala wrote:
    That is the dog kennel to end all dog kennels, really well thought out :)

How much did it cost to build?

Thanks Nala - although I never totted up the cost I estimate it cost about €500. The insulation is so good it is almost soundproof so sometimes the dogs can jump out at you thinking you are an intruder.

Dobies are not really outdoor dogs and ideally should be brought indoors at night but dogs were never allowed in our house so its the best I can do for them here. When I am at my other house they stay indoors without any problems - well that's if you exclude all the cushions and a few mattresses they ripped up - and the odd blanket or towel they may have shredded. :rolleyes:

My next idea is to get an electrically operated dog flap for the garage door so they can come and go as they please and my classics won't be getting wet with the rain blowing in. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

Folk many thanks for the suggestions

I have an idea what is required now in terms of size, insulation, door, etc

Cheers
    martin

Have the same breed dog as you.
    In the kennel we have you can remove the roof which come's in very handy
    for when we want to clean it out or change bedding.

We put our's up off the ground using block's
    and the opening is to one side also.

Advertisement