Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Patch for wireless?

• 08-07-2007 8:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭

I finally downloaded and installed Ubuntu however I'm having a problem with my wireless connection, I can't connect. I can connect wired so I'm thinking that Ubuntu can't reccognise my wireless card. Is their a patch to fix that? I've an Inspiron 1300 if thats any help.

Thanks,
    S.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You could use NDISwrapper to use the Windows drivers, if you don't have a hangup about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Might be worth your while running commands like lspci to determine what wireless card you have, ifconfig -a to see if it is recognising the device, iwconfig if you see a few devices and aren't sure which one is wireless.

I'd a quick google and didn't find one standard driver for the Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN MiniPCI Card card that is listed for the Inspiron 1300 so it might be simpler as aidan suggests to use ndiswrapper and see if that works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Yeah, I'm trying that, thanks aidan, however I'm having difficulty with the whole install thing. I'm straight from windows so this is kinda new to me but I'll learn, hopefully.

EDIT -- I ran the lspci test and it seems to recognise my card so that answers one question but brings up another, why isn't it connecting? Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
    S.

EDIT2 -- How do I use the cube effect. What buttons do I click? Thanks :~ )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

lspci seeing your card doesn't necessarily mean ubuntu can use it.

If you post what lspci has to say about your card, some decent advice re native support -v- ndiswrapper may be forthcoming.

ndiswrapper shouldn't be any major hassle to install. Just read through the "INSTALL" file after you have extracted the archive (e.g. tar -xvf ndiswrapper-1.47.tar.gz possibly being patronising here but you did state you were purely windows based before this and it took me a while to understand the lack of winzip in unixland when I first got started).

I don't know what the "cube effect" is - serves me right for using slack and shunning X

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Ok to get wireless woring in Ubuntu, can a bit fiddly for a frist timer but not that hard.Frist you need fine out what chip set your card uses.Just google for it.After that you need to do is get the driver ,if it's a ralink chip best place is here. Read the README file it explains how to install it
    If it is railink chip after you install it do the fllowing.
    Open up a Terminal type
    iwconfig
    If you see ra0 you in business

next type
    sudo dhclient ra0
    You'll need you password.

and you should be able to connect.

Ndiswrapper didn't work for me, but I kno it work for others, so give it a try.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

hehe

sudo apt-get install bcm43xx-fwcutter

;)

Advertisement