Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

going back to xp from vista

• 08-07-2007 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,619 ✭✭✭✭

im sick and tired of vista and im hoping to go back to windows xp media center

how do i do this

i have the orignal xp media center cd

i dont see a serial number on the cd by the way or the paper holder it was in

im doing this on my dell laptop

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

what has pissed you off about Vista?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Is the MCE licence key on the bottom of the laptop? I didn't think of looking for it there before :o.

You can set up a dual-boot this time and revert to MCE when Vista stresses you out.

Like RuggieBear, I'd also like to know what you dislike about it. Just curious. Microsoft let everyone get too comfortable in taking its time to release a new OS :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

im using vista and its been great so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,007 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

papu wrote:
    im using vista and its been great so far

Seconded. I have to say I quite like it. It's great the way it handles digital content such as video, music and photo's. Granted it's not exactly fantastic the way it handle's older games, but I can live with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

eo980 wrote:
    Seconded. I have to say I quite like it. It's great the way it handles digital content such as video, music and photo's. Granted it's not exactly fantastic the way it handle's older games, but I can live with that.

the only game i cant play so far is trackmania nations and i have a feeling thats a starforce problem , compatability mode actually works :0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

I've also been thinking about reverting to XP. Vista runs very sluggish on my new-ish laptop. And iTunes has been a nightmare with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,619 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I've also been thinking about reverting to XP. Vista runs very sluggish on my new-ish laptop. And iTunes has been a nightmare with it.
    thats my reason too

except i dont use itunes

its very sluggish on my laptop

and my laptop is powerful enough

has 2 gbs of ram

what i did last night
    i put the window media centre disk in to my laptop
    and restarted and pressed F12 and booted from the cd/dvd drive and installed the windows media center in a partition called somthing like FAT32 or FAT

iv windows xp now

so what has happened to vista

my xp is working perfect except for the sound and graphics card

what could be wrong with the sound and i think ill probly have to download a driver for my graphics card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Dell Laptop, dells drivers for their laptops run crap in vista.

Im using Vista at home and in work... Works a charm

iv windows xp now

so what has happened to vista

my xp is working perfect except for the sound and graphics card

what could be wrong with the sound and i think ill probly have to download a driver for my graphics card
    Sounds like you installed XP to the Vista recovery partition. Vista's still there but it's not bootable, probably just a case of marking the partition active.

Regarding the sound, you probably just need a driver for it. If it's a HD Audio onboard chip you'll also need the 888111 Microsoft hotfix before you can install the sound.

Karsini wrote:
    Sounds like you installed XP to the Vista recovery partition. Vista's still there but it's not bootable, probably just a case of marking the partition active.

Regarding the sound, you probably just need a driver for it. If it's a HD Audio onboard chip you'll also need the 888111 Microsoft hotfix before you can install the sound.
    i downloaded everything from the dells support website

and the sounds working great and graphics card is working great

im glad i went back to xp i can start over again

on a side note

lads whats the best free dvd maker software

and dvd converter

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

i downloaded everything from the dells support website

and the sounds working great and graphics card is working great

im glad i went back to xp i can start over again

on a side note

lads whats the best free dvd maker software

and dvd converter
    CD writer software = www.cdburnerxp.se

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055074553
    ***DVD Rip/Copy/Backup: read or get banned***
    Since some of you have problems reading the Charter and FAQ, please note that any discussion of how to backup/copy/rip/shrink/etc of any type of DVD is banned here. Regardless of whether they are copyrighted or not.

So anyone posting any sort of DVD backup/copy/rip/shrink thread gets a two week ban. And the same ban goes for anyone replying to a thread.

Consider this the final warning in all cases.

i was talking about somthing like windows dvd maker

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

If you upgraded from xp to vista you can role back to cp if you still have you windows.old file.

I was trying to do it but didnt have my windows.old file.

I posted a thread about it earlier where some posted instructions on how to do it. Can find it now

Advertisement