Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cigarette Lighter / charger issue BMW 520i

Options
  • 08-07-2007 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have just bought a 95 BMW520i

I noticed today that the cigarette lighter wasn't working. I have changed the fuse in the engine compartment for this but it still doesn't work. Just wondering if anyone has any other quick non garage related suggestions that I might try to rectify this.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

V1llianous wrote:
    Just wondering if anyone has any other quick non garage related suggestions that I might try to rectify this.

Cheers

Yeah, thats easy. All you gotta do is learn about how auto electrics work, get some wiring diagrams and a few basic tools. Then you can sort it out without getting a garage involved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

Yeah, thats easy. All you gotta do is learn about how auto electrics work, get some wiring diagrams and a few basic tools. Then you can sort it out without getting a garage involved :)

I'd start by seeing if the holder has 12v using a multimeter!

If it doesn't then I would go to the back of the holder and see if there is 12v coming up the wires.

And if there wasn't I'd just find 12v somewhere else and wire that in.

Its a cigarette lighter in 12yo car, something well within the capabilities of even the most amateur DIY mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Is it the cigar lighter or the cigar lighter socket that's not working? Have you tried various item in the socket and nothing works? If the lighter itself looks well used then it could well be kaput - if that's the case then just buy a new lighter. If you half any idea about auto electrics, you should be able to figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I've a few spare bits including a new female cigarette lighter.

I had the same problem with a 02 transit I just bought, I tried a few things myself but it turned out the whole wiring had to be replaced. Good job it was still under warranty because it took the garage over an hour. If yours is still under warranty just bring it back and ask them to fix it.

If you want a few bits you're welcome to come pick them up in Dun Laoghaire.

cormie wrote:
    I've a few spare bits including a new female cigarette lighter.

I had the same problem with a 02 transit I just bought, I tried a few things myself but it turned out the whole wiring had to be replaced. Good job it was still under warranty because it took the garage over an hour. If yours is still under warranty just bring it back and ask them to fix it.

If you want a few bits you're welcome to come pick them up in Dun Laoghaire.

Good man Cormie...........I rest my case :)

• Advertisement

Good man Cormie...........I rest my case :)

...its still only 2 wires.

It takes Ford dealers an hour to program a spare focus key by turning it in the ignition 3 times... at least that is what they told me before I showed them the relevant page in the bloody instruction manual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Those disposable lighters jam in the socket hole nicely. Convenient for those Hamlet moments. :D On more helpful note try some accessory in the lighter socket like a phone charger, if it works you need a new lighter bit. If it doesn't the socket is at fault. This could be for several reasons. You could remove the socket and check for integrity of its wiring. There may also be a relay involved in its operation this would need to be located and tested. It is worth trying to identify the problem yourself as it far cheaper, However the low voltage systems in cars are quite safe from a shock point of view, but large currents are available which can cause in car fires so even these low voltage systems must be treated with respect.

maidhc wrote:
    ...its still only 2 wires.

It takes Ford dealers an hour to program a spare focus key by turning it in the ignition 3 times... at least that is what they told me before I showed them the relevant page in the bloody instruction manual.

Because you once had to tell a Ford dealer how to program a new Ford key it is therefore perfectly safe for someone who knows nothing about BMW auto electrics to mess about with them?? Sorry, I think that logic is slightly flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Did you not short the circuit in the Transit yourself Cormie, is this why the wiring needed replacing?

Because you once had to tell a Ford dealer how to program a new Ford key it is therefore perfectly safe for someone who knows nothing about BMW auto electrics to mess about with them?? Sorry, I think that logic is slightly flawed.

My point is there isn't much to know, and it is probably worth trying a few simple troubleshooting steps first before paying someone an hours labour to fix something simple.

We all have to earn a living, and I know this is how you make yours. I think though it is professional courtesy to tell people some easy potential solutions to their problems before telling them they need to have over euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

colm_mcm wrote:
    Did you not short the circuit in the Transit yourself Cormie, is this why the wiring needed replacing?

I don't know:o

But it wasn't working in the first place anyway, whether I made it worse or not (probably) I don't know..

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Just to clarify it is the socket that isn't working as I have tried a car vac and a phone charger in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Is the ignition on ? ( silly question i know, but mine only works that way)

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

oleras wrote:
    Is the ignition on ? ( silly question i know, but mine only works that way)

Yep, even tried it with engine running too. :D

Advertisement