Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congrats to Waterford- Munster Champions 2007!

• 08-07-2007 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Baby4 wrote:

I think Limerick played a very "physical" (GAA for "rough") game because it was the only way they could dampen the class of Waterford. They were skilful enough themselves, but they had to use the rough-and-tumble as a key part of their game.

Teams that play like that will always get away with most of what they do, because GAA referees are very tolerant of rough play which in soccer, for example, wouldn't be tolerated.

Still though, that high challenge on Mullane went beyond the normal bounds even for hurling. I was surprised that the red card didn't come out of the ref's book on that occasion.

Great day though, all the same. Looking forward to work tomorrow (in KK!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Well done Waterford - delighted for everyone there. If Wexford can't win - and it looks very likely that they can't :( - I hope Waterford do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Baby4 wrote:

Congrats to the blues, they deserved to win. About the ref, listen that ref is one of the worst refs in the game. He tends to get carried away in the passion of the game and forgets the basics and often gives frees for nothing and then lets other more serious incidents go.
    However I don't think certain fouls committed by Limerick players deserved red cards. I was watching it on TV and the fouls looked fairly harmless (or not red card offenses anyway). When at the game one tends to get carried away especially if you are surrounded by a few thousand lads wearing the same jersey.
    Also it is worth nothing a lot of the players are playing to the offense, they get a tug or a pull and go down like a sack of spuds. OK it ain't as bad as the soccer but the drama is beginning to creep its way into the game.

Roll on the qualifiers where the real fun begins with the threat of knock-outs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Ollie Moran turning around and breaking a hurley off Ken McGrath isn't fairly harmless ...

Junior wrote:
    Ollie Moran turning around and breaking a hurley off Ken McGrath isn't fairly harmless ...

I did not see that on tv..but if it happened like you say it did then OK that's crazy stuff but did he actually turn around and just wallop him or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

It certainly happened. It must have been some force to break a hurley across someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Spengman

Baby4 wrote:

Absolute rubbish! All these people saying that Limerick are an overly physical team obviously dont have a clue about hurling. Limerick are a tough team no doubt but they always play within the rules, they play a hard game but not a dirty one. Waterford are no shrinking violets either, the likes of the two Prendergasts, Dan Shanahan, Ken McGrath, Michael Walsh and Eoin Kelly are all big men and are well able to look after themselves!
    Junior wrote:

What about Ken McGraths disgraceful off the ball pull across Clares Gerry Quinn in 2002, broke his hand! Lucky for him Quinn didnt take the matter any further, McGraths not exactly a saint himself so think about that before you make any more uninformed comments!

Spengman wrote:

What about Ken McGraths disgraceful off the ball pull across Clares Gerry Quinn in 2002, broke his hand! Lucky for him Quinn didnt take the matter any further, McGraths not exactly a saint himself so think about that before you make any more uninformed comments!

What goes around comes around...Gerry is lucky Henry Shefflin didn't take their matter any further either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Spengman wrote:

Seriously what are you on about ? I was illustrating the point that the foul's weren't fairly 'harmless' as indicated by run_forrest_run, you know if your trying to say sure that player is a dirty fella it's ok to break a hurley or two off him, tis all part of the game shure then your less informed than a brick wall.

Junior wrote:
    Seriously what are you on about ? I was illustrating the point that the foul's weren't fairly 'harmless' as indicated by run_forrest_run, you know if your trying to say sure that player is a dirty fella it's ok to break a hurley or two off him, tis all part of the game shure then your less informed than a brick wall.

Unfortunately I think you're the uninformed one, I was simply trying to bring a bit of balance to an otherwise biased debate. Ollie Moran is certainly not a dirty player. In fact for a man of his size and strength he dosent use his physique enough, It would have taken something pretty serious for him to retaliate in the way he did, think about that before you get up on your soap box again! All im saying is that Ken McGrath has a bit of a history of that kind of thing so I would doubt very much that it was an unprovoked incident!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

Well what I should've said was that they play fair the majority of the time because no team play within the rules ALL of the time. Seamus Roche is well known for letting the game flow and theres not much wrong with that! In fairness looking back at it on video there were a few frees that Waterford should have got but equally there were a couple of incident where Limerick deserved frees and didnt get them either! Seamus Prendergast also gave Seamus Hickey a rather cynical root of the hurley into the lower back in the 1st half and for some reason Waterford were awarded a free:confused: To be honest I dont think you could say the referee favoured either team!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

Baby4 wrote:

croker 4pm sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

So will the spraoi parade be pushed bacK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Leonitos wrote:
    Justin McCarthy was arrested last night after vandalising a cigarette machine, he replied by saying he was in a bad way for 20 players!!

For sale 35,000 senior All Ireland hurling final tickets, hotel deals included with the most...for details contact any Waterford club chairman or log onto www.chokedagain.com ..quick sale

No prize for guessing where you're from. I wouldn't be shouting too soon.......;)

Advertisement