Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anyone going to the Longford Marathon

• 08-07-2007 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi All,
    I just finished the Achill Half Marathon yesterday and I'm already looking for new challenges/races...
    The Full Marathon is still not my league as I cannot run more then 25k...
    I just found that there will be another half marathon at the end of August (26th in Longford) and I'm wondering who might go over there to run it.
    does anybody has more information about the course? maybe even a profile? Will it be more tough as Connemara or Achill?
    another question would be:
    "How can I increase my mileage?"
    My longterm goal would be a Full Marathon but right now I could not finish it without walking at some stage... And if I'd ever go for the full I have to run it in full...despite the energy bar stops at waterstations... ;)
    My current half Marathon times are 1h52m (Achill) and 1h57m (Connemara) ...

Thanks for any post
    Maik

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

Hi Maik
    Hi All,
    I just finished the Achill Half Marathon yesterday and I'm already looking for new challenges/races...
    The Full Marathon is still not my league as I cannot run more then 25k...
    I just found that there will be another half marathon at the end of August (26th in Longford) and I'm wondering who might go over there to run it.
    I'll probably be running the half in Longford
    does anybody has more information about the course? maybe even a profile? Will it be more tough as Connemara or Achill?
    The half is mainly out and back on the N4, boring/ flat and fast [take your pick]
    another question would be:
    "How can I increase my mileage?"
    Slowly increase the distance of your longest run
    Slowly increase the number of miles run per session
    Slowly increase the number of sessions per week
    My longterm goal would be a Full Marathon but right now I could not finish it without walking at some stage... And if I'd ever go for the full I have to run it in full...despite the energy bar stops at waterstations... ;)
    My current half Marathon times are 1h52m (Achill) and 1h57m (Connemara) ...

Thanks for any post
    Maik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

does anybody has more information about the course?

I ran the Longford half last year and will hopefully do it again this year. It's no where near as tough as Achill or Connemara. Fairly flat out the N5 from Longford town to Tarmonbarry and back again. Kinda boring but good for setting fast times. Quite well organised too.

The marathon course is more interesting continuing on from Tarmonbarry in a loop through the countryside back to Longford town.

As far as I know there are also Halfs in Westport, Blarney, Phoenix Park and Donegal still to come this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭deadlybuzz

Hi Maik,
    Glad you enjoyed Achill Half. I ran it last year and may return , esp. if they ever put on a Full. I've run the Longford Full on a couple of occasions. I would say that the Half course is far easier than Achill and Connemara. It's well organised, and now into it's 7th / 8th year. Some nice stretches, as you pass Tamonbarry , and cross over the river by Roosky (in the Full course), but otherwise fairly non-descript. Happy running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 maikrohsoft

Hi guys,
    thank you all for your quick reply.
    I just got slapped by my girlfriend as I totaly forgot that we are on vacation on that Longford weekend...
    I will be away for the adidas 5miles next weekend as well...
    any other race in the near future in the Dublin or Limerick area?
    I will probably go for the streets of Galway and then pretty much the adidias series in Dublin (except the 5miles..).
    Thanks for your help again and enjoy running

Advertisement