Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NTL hacked box

2»

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Plus I recall reading in a newspaper in the last week how NTL in conjunction with the Gardai have in fact done so.

Lets cut to the chase here. There's undoubtedly a bunch of people who are following this thread and who have one of those illegal receivers. If its not obvious already, you now run a very real risk of getting caught and its time to get rid of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Maximilian wrote: »
    Plus I recall reading in a newspaper in the last week how NTL in conjunction with the Gardai have in fact done so.

Lets cut to the chase here. There's undoubtedly a bunch of people who are following this thread and who have one of those illegal receivers. If its not obvious already, you now run a very real risk of getting caught and its time to get rid of them.
    Not to mention that from a technical POV, these things are ridiculously easy to detect. The NTL Digital cable network is essentially a bog-standard IP based computer network. You're attaching a foreign computer device to their network. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

What newspaper was this? I find this extremely hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

seamus wrote: »
    Not to mention that from a technical POV, these things are ridiculously easy to detect. The NTL Digital cable network is essentially a bog-standard IP based computer network. You're attaching a foreign computer device to their network. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

Are you sure about this - in that case, why would you need a Modem for the Broadband package?

krinpit wrote: »
    Are you sure about this - in that case, why would you need a Modem for the Broadband package?

I use NTL's digital service over MMDS, and I'm 99% certain it's not IP based. There isn't any two way communication at all. It's a one way broadcast as far as I can tell.

krinpit wrote: »

I'm not privy to the exact setup details of the network, but obviously it's not exactly the same as a Coax LAN setup. The modem is essentially just a coax network adapter with a few bells and whistles; it's not a modem in the conventional sense of dial-up modems.

NTLs modems and digiboxes are nodes with distinct IP addresses on an IP network. These other boxes still have to conform to the rules of that network - i.e. get an IP address and talk to the rest of the network - which is why they stick out so readily.

[Edit: MMDS I'm not sure about. I'll have to read up on it.

I also stand to be corrected on the network - I'm making assumptions based on examining my own NTL equipment.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

plodder wrote: »
    What newspaper was this? I find this extremely hard to believe.

No, I just made it up to support a point I was making.

The Irish Times I think. Monday or Tuesday last.

Found links to a story where Gardai, together with NTL staff raided a premises in Finglas that was selling these boxes. Quite a different scenario to breaking down the front-doors of people's houses after the NTL guy being refused entry.

No, I just made it up to support a point I was making.

The Irish Times I think. Monday or Tuesday last.
    Sorry, didn't mean to imply you were making it up. It was more a general statement of surprise.

• Advertisement

I didn't take offense. I just never miss an cheap opportunity for sarcasm :)

The article didn't mention breaking down doors or anything but I would say the next such story will. It did mention If I recall, how they are employing methods of detecting users of these boxes. One such method would be to look at the records of these sellers & find out who their customers were.

As much as I loathe NTL, if I had an illegal box, I would chuck it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I remember than in the 90's Cork Multichannel as it was then known conducted a sting operation on illegal boxes. They placed an announcement on a channel only receivable on hacked boxes. The accouncement was to claim your free prize call 1800 xxx xxx.

Anyone that did, received a visit from the Gardaí with a search warrant and cable company officials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cadey110

Just6 heard from a friend of mine who has a Dreambox that Chorus/UPC in Limerick has scrambled the signal and all the Dreamboxes are not picking up anything at all!!!! Oops sounds like an angry mob will be gathering!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sammytipper

Im in Waterford and the signal is gone. Can anybody help me with codes or anything?

Yep, pick up your phone, dial 112, and tell them you're having trouble with your dreambox.

They'll be delighted to hear from you.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement