Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

League Table - MS Excel

Options
  • 08-07-2007 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on running a sweep in work where one will input their predictions on a 5 team league (each team playing eachother once), totalling 10 games. I've gotten to the point where I've managed to automatically build a league table based on their predictions but I can't figure out the best way to sort it..

I'd like to sort their predictions dynamically based on points scored and then on goal difference.. anyone got any suggestions?

Many thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Hi Irish Wolf,

I know you're new but can you please read the forum charter, particularly the bit about asking people to send a pm. It's better if the solution is kept in thread so people can comment on it, discuss it and others can find it at a later date.

E.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Look under the Data menu.

If MS Excel recognises the data as a list you can sort by three fields easily.

If you want a button click then record a macro and assign it to a button.

Easy Peasy.

MM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Evil Phil wrote:
    Hi Irish Wolf,

I know you're new but can you please read the forum charter, particularly the bit about asking people to send a pm. It's better if the solution is kept in thread so people can comment on it, discuss it and others can find it at a later date.

E.P.

Oops - sorry Evil Phil.. will edit accordingly..

Look under the Data menu.

If MS Excel recognises the data as a list you can sort by three fields easily.

If you want a button click then record a macro and assign it to a button.

Easy Peasy.

MM

Agreed - but the thing is I'd rather have it update automatically so there'd be no need for a user to run a macro or do any sorting themselves..

I've attached the template I have currently - I reckon there'll be a need to do a fair few IF statements to sort it first by points and then by GD..

test_league.xls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

I don't see why there would be the need for lots of if statements?

If you look in the VBA editor and open this workbook there is an onOpen event for the workbook.

Put your code in there.

MM

• Advertisement

I don't see why there would be the need for lots of if statements?

If you look in the VBA editor and open this workbook there is an onOpen event for the workbook.

Put your code in there.

MM

Thanks for the comments MM - I guess I didn't make it clear enough that I didn't want any VB code involved. Basically I wanted the league table spreadsheet to update as the user entered their predictions for the 10 matches.

Anyway - after a couple of quiet hours yesterday I think I've managed to get it working as I want.

5_team_league.xls

Advertisement