Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

restaurant in Cahir

Options
  • 09-07-2007 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi, does anyone out there know a nice restaurant in Cahir, South Tipp.? A real restaurant, no fast food.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

drive to cashel! only ten mins and its alot nicer...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

Yeah, I'm afraid so.
    There used to be a good one in Cahir, Gannon's. But they moved elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Was that Gannons above the Bell or was that called Cliffords...can't remember?

There is a Chinese called the Rose Garden in Cahir, I've never eaten in but their take-out is as good as anywhere else really.

I had a meal in the Bell about a month ago, just regular Sunday lunch. The setting downstairs is not good but the food was decent.

Other than that I can't think of anywhere unless you go to Kilcoran Lodge out the Cork Road.

EDIT: Forgot to add, if you're looking for a quick but nice lunch then The Lazy Bean in the square is a good place to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

There is an Italian restaurant in Cahir, cant remember the name but it is just outside the main square on the "Dublin " road, on the left. There is an art gallery/tourist shop just past it. I found the food to be good quality and affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

The Italian restaurant is called Galileo. Top class stuff and reasonable in price. Staff are top drawer also. There is a new chef in The Bell bar. Both Cliffords and Gannons have done a great business but unfortunately the Prop of the bar is difficult to deal with and has now the unique distinction of killing two golden geese!!
    The Galtee Inn is the premier place for food in the town at the moment. Always top quality food served with a smile and always within the time frame. Don't just take my word for it! Try to get in on a GAA Sunday and you will see how popular it is.
    Lazy Bean is more of a cafe than a place to eat a dinner, the chinese out the Clonmel road is great also and is flying it in terms of business.
    Small little restaurant open just over a year opposite the castle called the River View. Got off to a super start but I think a little inexperience caused it to stumble somewhat. Its just been taken over by a young couple who don't seem to have much more in the line of experience but loads in energy!! Lets hope it goes well for them.

• Advertisement

Both Cliffords and Gannons have done a great business but unfortunately the Prop of the bar is difficult to deal with and has now the unique distinction of killing two golden geese!!
    Wait until I tell* Tom Shanahan what people on boards.ie are saying about him :D
    Lazy Bean is more of a cafe than a place to eat a dinner,
    Yeah, that's what I was trying to say but thanks for clarifying. Great paninis and some unusual but tasty fillings can be had :)

*I won't be telling Tom what's being said about him!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ella23

Strange question but does anybody here know a lad that was originally from Cahir called Richie O'Donnell. He would be around 30 now maybe 31? I would be very interested in finding him again. To catch up. Lost contact with him a few years ago and cant find him again! Would really appreciate some help. Thanks!

My wife is from Cahir, I'll ask her. I'm pretty sure I've heard my brother-in-law mention that name but then again as the saying goes "There's more than one Paddy Farrelly".

EDIT: Have you tries Bebo, MySpace, Facebook etc? There always good for an aul stalk! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

Wold not advise kilcoran nice setting but the food leaves a lot to be desired

• Registered Users Posts: 14,692 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Galileo Mmmmmmmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Sevenie

In fairness not much in Cahir, goto Clonmel. Try D'Amigos, sawwweeeett.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Theatrebuff

palaver wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone out there know a nice restaurant in Cahir, South Tipp.? A real restaurant, no fast food.
    Thanks
    Follow the Gannons out to the Old Convent in Clogheen.
    Fantastic food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nedser1970

all u said is true,but you are forgetting the galtee inn i.e malones.this is a lovely place to eat albiet a pub but food and service is top class and how i know this is because i live in cahir

sorry but i live in cahir but u have things messed up.gannons which was the bell is not on the clogheen road.and the best food is to be found in cahir house or the galtee inn.take my word for it i live in cahir

i also live in clonmel and u cant get a decent dinner anywhere in clonmel,its a crap town and a scum hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Theatrebuff

nedser1970 wrote: »
    i also live in clonmel and u cant get a decent dinner anywhere in clonmel,its a crap town and a scum hole

Old Convent in Clogheen village. the Galtee is good for good pub grub.

Clonmel is not very exciting on the food stakes either.
    The death of Michael Clifford left a hugh void not just in Clonmel but in Munster.

Try the roma quiet good:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Ahhh, the Roma....that place brings back memories of underage drinking in Cahir and the stress of getting into Cahir House w/o id :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,692 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

NEDSER1970...who are you......??HAHA

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

ive heard the food is pretty good in The Shamrock Lounge in Cahir and you get decent portions aswell. Anyone tell anything about this place by any chance. Gonna be heading up that way soon

• Advertisement

I've not eaten in the Shamrock in ages but to be honest Hughie always does his best to put on a good spread at the best of times so you can't go too far wrong.

The food in the Bell is actually alright, I last ate there in January. The sauces are a little bit salty for my tastes but everything was cooked well and I was full when I left!

Ya the shamrocks pretty good cheapest price around aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭benny

The food in the Italian 'Galileo' place in Cahir, church street. is lovely, but the girls in there should try to smile!
    In Clonmel, 'The Indian ocean', Sarsfield St , is great.
    also in Clonmel, 'The Emperor' or MINGS as the regs call it, has great food too its opposite he credit union.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Another vote for Shamrocks though it depends on if you're interested in a bite to eat or a romantic evening out really.

Ponster wrote: »
    Another vote for Shamrocks though it depends on if you're interested in a bite to eat or a romantic evening out really.

True, true, Hughies is nice but I wouldn't exactly call it romantic :D

On another note, apparently the Bell now do membership cards that give you 10% off food and 5% off drink there. Not sure what the fee is for a membership card though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

made the stop at the Shamrock Lounge and jeez the man couldn't do enough for us...you'd swear we were long lost relatives...great service and food...defo thumbs up here and recommended ;)

kerry4sam wrote: »
    made the stop at the Shamrock Lounge and jeez the man couldn't do enough for us...you'd swear we were long lost relatives...great service and food...defo thumbs up here and recommended ;)
    Good stuff! Hughie's a nice guy! Glad you enjoyed it :)

Advertisement