Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Chorus with Sky - best for the job?

Options
  • 09-07-2007 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

I have the old chorus analogue service and am finally going to pay Mr. Rupert Murdoch for Sky instead. :rolleyes:

I want to get Sky (or maybe Sky+) installed and I want the option of having FTA channels if I decide to drop sky after the 12 month contract.

Who would you recommend for installation around Limerick and environs for both price and future-proofing for free-to-air/multi-room use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

Just a tip if you are going to get multiroom run a phone line to both rooms yourself or you will be charged 90E for the installer to do it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I would urge you to go for Sky + - Its too good to pass up........... :D

- I signed up via the promotional booth in the centre part of the Crescent Shopping Centre - Was v. happy with them & yer man was back twice due to a previous installers fcuk ups [@ no extra cost]

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Thanks for the tips lads!

I was wondering though if Urlan TV or similar in town would be the best place to talk to with a view to Free To Air channels only in the future (without charging an arm and a leg!)?

I've heard Urlan are good, but expensive??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Chorus are bringing in DVR in a few months.

It's like Sky + only better, as you can record two things at once.
    I think the boxes are coming with double the hardrive as well.

Might be worth the wait. You wouldn't be tied to a 12 month contract either, because you'd be using your old Chorus contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

We got a free to air dish and box from Urlan for €109. There was a problem with the first box they gave us and they replaced it no bother, they even manually put more channels into it :D

Maplin also do free to air I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

hey neon..what channels can you get free to air. really think this is the way forward. Chorus suck so bad. Since they "upgraded" and changed the channels around its got worse!

I agree vkid, FTA is the way to go long term - see the recent Irish Times article - shocking amount ot pay over your lifetime for the humble boobtube!

Neon, Urlan sounds good!

Karmafaerie, that new Chorus dealie sounds like a digital service - de plonkers won't do digital in my area though! :(

Looks like I will lump with Sky for a year and get someone to put in quad LNB, etc. for multi-room FTA eventually! (Not 100% sure about this).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Chorus are bringing in DVR in a few months.

It's like Sky + only better, as you can record two things at once.
    I think the boxes are coming with double the hardrive as well.

Might be worth the wait. You wouldn't be tied to a 12 month contract either, because you'd be using your old Chorus contract.

Just wanted to point out that Sky+ allows you to record two Channels at once as it has two tuners.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

http://www.ses-astra.com/backoffice/findAChannel_en/index.php?action=basicSearchAction&receptionPossibleIn=5981&digital=1&analogue=1&free=1&pay=0&tvRadio=tv

As far as I know to get BBC3 and Channel 4 you need some free sky card or something. Urlan could probably advise

(That link only gives 300 or so channels, but I have over 500 in my box right now)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

BBC1-4, ITV1-4 are all FTA. C4 isn't.

FTA are a lot of crappy shopping channels, music channels, evangelisation programs, some news channels and some B and C-movie channels. not sure if it is worth the hassle for basically 4 watchable programs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Raiser wrote:
    Just wanted to point out that Sky+ allows you to record two Channels at once as it has two tuners.

Yeah, I realised my mistake this morning.
    Was thinking of the old, old service.
    Was gonna amend it when I came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I have SKY in one room and FTA in the others. I kept my external aerial so I also have the main Irish Channels in each room
    With FTA you get BBC1-4, ITV1-4, Film 4, (News - BBC, Sky...), various others. Many of these are not on the SKy EPG and have to be tuned manually. You also get all the RTE and BBC radio channels on FTA.

Only for the kids I would Kick out Sky as it simply isn't worth it. 13 quality channels is enough for me.

I have SKY in one room and FTA in the others. I kept my external aerial so I also have the main Irish Channels in each room
    With FTA you get BBC1-4, ITV1-4, Film 4, (News - BBC, Sky...), various others. Many of these are not on the SKy EPG and have to be tuned manually. You also get all the RTE and BBC radio channels on FTA.

Only for the kids I would Kick out Sky as it simply isn't worth it. 13 quality channels is enough for me.

Yeah, Clareman, I agree with you. Well, when i get around to it, I'll let ye know how I get on anyway! ;)

Advertisement