Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much for N+, Security+ ?

Options
  • 09-07-2007 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

How many days of training are the official CompTia courses for a N+ and Security+ ?
    I passed my Security+ a little while ago without training, so I have no idea.

Also how much is the usual price for these courses in Dublin ?

Thanks a lot in advance :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 deejaay

you book them in new horizon on great strand street,threw prometric, n+ costs 241

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

I took my Network+ today and passed, I bought the voucher from getcertify4less, it cost me €150

http://www.getcertify4less.com/networkint-pro.asp

(This one is even cheaper! Only $183 = approx €135)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Vouchers I know, I even pay them cheaper.
    But what about the course itself ? Do you have an idea how much they usually cost ?

I've no idea mate, sorry, I usually just go through braindumps <EDIT - 070717> I DID NOT USE BRAINDUMP, I MISUNDERSTOOD THE MEANING OF THE TERM - SEE BELOW FOR EXPLANATION</EDIT> and do sample exams.

I think the courses themselves are quite expensive, Network+ is about €2000 with IACT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Kone wrote:
    I've no idea mate, sorry, I usually just go through braindumps
    :eek: .
    €150 is pretty expensive for a worthless piece of paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

_CreeD_ wrote:
    :eek: .
    €150 is pretty expensive for a worthless piece of paper.

It's a good thing they're not worthless so.

From a Braindump, yup.

_CreeD_ wrote:
    From a Braindump, yup.

I agree that that is a worthless way to prepare for any cert, not to mention its pretty much cheating.

You're much better off studying all the material outlined in the objectives and also putting it into action.

I thought you were implying that the certs themselves were worthless.

Thats what I figured :). Besides devaluing the cert's value in the market they completely miss the point that these courses should be about the knowledge. The CV ammunition is great but it's secondary.
    And to Kone, I'm not trying to be holier than thou but doing cert's this way will (eventually) get you into a job you haven't a chance of doing, and you will be labeled a paper technician, among other names. The Irish IT market is a small town and that reputation will come back and bite you in the ass....and of course there is the cheating part.

Mick, sorry can't help I did mine self study in the states. Since you did the Sec+ (and many others if memory serves) on your own I'm guessing this is not for yourself? But if it is don't sweat doing this self-study, compared to the Sec+ it's extremely easy.

edit

• Advertisement

_CreeD_ wrote:
    Thats what I figured :). Besides devaluing the cert's value in the market they completely miss the point that these courses should be about the knowledge. The CV ammunition is great but it's secondary.
    And to Kone, I'm not trying to be holier than thou but doing cert's this way will (eventually) get you into a job you haven't a chance of doing, and you will be labeled a paper technician, among other names. The Irish IT market is a small town and that reputation will come back and bite you in the ass....and of course there is the cheating part.

Now to make a confession, I, in fact misunderstood the meaning of a braindump, after having a look on Wiki I see..

"the IT Industry, a 'brain dump' refers to material that has been memorized, or captured electronically by means of a small device such as a PDA or cell phone with a built in camera, from an IT certification and re-created to provide an almost exact replica of the exam, thus violating most but not all Non-disclosure agreements given before an exam"

I did not do/use this. I was just using sample questions and guides, which I was referring to as braindumps, apologies, I misunderstood.

I agree with you completely, The cert is ALL about the knowledge, not just about passing an exam. There is no point in passing an exam if you're going to get a job you can't do.

I have over 7 years IT experience, from Desktop to Server, I found The Network+ was reasonable easy as I had the on the job experience to pass it.

I used sample exams, sample questions, books etc as a guide to review and refresh the knowledge I already had.

I did not "cheat" as you eloquently put it, I passed the exam fair and sqaure.

(So basically I agree with you, if I had been doing what you thought and what I foolishly said I was doing, although I completely misunderstood the term 'braindump' the whole exam would have been pointless)

/Kone

I understand the approach, hell I was tempted to do it for the same reason with my first MCP. I got about 30 questions in and put it away, no matter how much I justified it by saying that I'd never sat an Msoft exam and needed to study the format etc, that unease grew with every question. I knew I wouldn't be able to look at the result and feel that it was 100% me.
    Is it the same as someone with zero knowledge or experience dumping their way through, no. But at the same time (imho) there can be no grey area with brain dumps, they damage the value of the certs too much.
    Again each to their own, just my $.02 .

_CreeD_ wrote:
    I understand the approach, hell I was tempted to do it for the same reason with my first MCP. I got about 30 questions in and put it away, no matter how much I justified it by saying that I'd never sat an Msoft exam and needed to study the format etc, that unease grew with every question. I knew I wouldn't be able to look at the result and feel that it was 100% me.
    Is it the same as someone with zero knowledge or experience dumping their way through, no. But at the same time (imho) there can be no grey area with brain dumps, they damage the value of the certs too much.
    Again each to their own, just my $.02 .

I agree with you completely, please read above.

I feel a bit silly now

Lesson 1: Understand what you are saying and look up definitons for word/terms you're not sure of.... :o:o:o:o

Apologies for the confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Well, now that thats cleared up, lets see if we can guide this back on track. :)

Sounds good to me Aidan!

Here's what I could find....

Distance Education Network+ €455

http://www.cmit.ie/it_distance_learning/comptia_network+_distance_learning.html

Professional Training €1695.00
    http://www.professional.ie/course_details.php?id=3256

Kilroys (CBT) €695
    http://www.kilroyscollege.ie/course.php?courseid=36

Blanch IT €2000
    http://www.itb.ie/site/courses/comptia.htm#net

I'd like to suggest to study for them yourself.

It's a lot cheaper and for me I find it an easier way to study.

accensi0n wrote:
    I'd like to suggest to study for them yourself.

It's a lot cheaper and for me I find it an easier way to study.

I agree, I prefer the home study approach, it's cheaper and you can work at your own pace.

Advertisement