Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

want to try Readyboost?

• 09-07-2007 2:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

i have tried about 10 different usb key drives and a few different flash cards in a usb adaptor and none are ready boost compatibal

i was thinking of buying a readyboost compatibal 2gb usb card off the web for €20

until today i found i have a readyboost compatibal flash card, its my sony PSP, its got a 2 gig card and a 1 gig card and both are accepted as readyboost compatibal

so if you have a PSP you can try before you buy

turns out its pretty pathetic, so saved me €20

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

A) Readyboost only makes a difference on systems with 512MB - 1GB of RAM, the more RAM the less benefit it offers. On systems with large amount of RAM it will only have a very marginal difference like shaving the load time from a regularly played game from 15-12 seconds you get the idea.

B) Most new USB drives should support it a full list of over 770 devices can be found here.

C) It needs time to take effect as Vista learns what you use the most and then places that in the cache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

You can hack Vista to force it to use any memory stick:
    1. Setup

Plug the device in. Ignore AutoPlay if you have the enabled, and go to Computer in the start menu. When it pops up, right-click the USB stick and select ‘Properties’.
    2. Disable the stick

Click on the ReadyBoost tab on the properties menu and check ‘Stop retesting this device when I plug it in’. Click OK and unplug the stick from your computer.
    3. Edit the registry

Don’t panic, it’s not as frightening as it sounds. Firstly, you need to open ‘regedit’, by opening the start menu and typing ‘regedit’, then hit enter. The registry window should load up.

Using the left-hand pane, work your way through the following folders: HKLM (Local Machine) -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows NT -> CurrentVersion -> EMDgmt.

You’ll have a list of USB devices the computer has encountered, one of which should be your USB stick. Click on it.

There are a few details you need to edit here. Double click on Device Status and change the value to 2, then click on OK. Do the same for ReadSpeedKBs and WriteSpeedKBs, changing both their values to both.

Exit the ‘regedit’ and breathe a sigh of relief.
    4. And back in again

Now, all that’s left to do is put the stick back in and once again go to the device properties (Computer -> Right-click on drive). If you look under the ReadyBoost tab, you’ll be able to now select ‘Use this device’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

thats brilliant!!!! wonder can i force vista to use my usb floppy adapter :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

mukki wrote:
    thats brilliant!!!! wonder can i force vista to use my usb floppy adapter :rolleyes:
    I'm sure -- with such wide bandwidth and write speeds! :D I haven't tried it myself but I'm assured it works.

Advertisement