Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferrybank AC - whats the story?

• 09-07-2007 9:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=1955#more-1955

I think this is the real success story of Irish athletics in recent seasons. Ferrybank have 6 athletes qualified for the Euro Juniors. There is a 7th, Niall Touhy, knocking on the door in the 800m. They have a 100m sprinter, a long jumper, 2 400m hurdlers, a 100m hurdler and a 1500m runner.

I presume the AAI are having a good look at this and realising that whatever they are doing, they are doing it right. Could a case study be undertaken and the 'Ferrybank' model be prescribed as a best practice model for clubs to perhaps emulate or copy. Is it that simple? Imagine a ferrybank in all major centres, we could have 50 juniors heading to the major championships!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

I agree completely, they're doing a superb job there. They've got a great structure in place allowing for progression from grassroots up to junior and bordering onto senior level, and I think this is manifested by their dominance of the qualifiers for the Juniors.

Fair play to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭ss43

Tingle wrote:
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=1955#more-1955

I think this is the real success story of Irish athletics in recent seasons. Ferrybank have 6 athletes qualified for the Euro Juniors. There is a 7th, Niall Touhy, knocking on the door in the 800m. They have a 100m sprinter, a long jumper, 2 400m hurdlers, a 100m hurdler and a 1500m runner.

I presume the AAI are having a good look at this and realising that whatever they are doing, they are doing it right. Could a case study be undertaken and the 'Ferrybank' model be prescribed as a best practice model for clubs to perhaps emulate or copy. Is it that simple? Imagine a ferrybank in all major centres, we could have 50 juniors heading to the major championships!!

It's pretty impressive alright. David McCarthy (the 1500m guy) is with West Waterford though, not Ferrybank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭stepperupper

Totally agree. Ferrybank have an excellent set-up down there and it's showing in their dominance in many juvenile and junior events. That green 123 is not uncommon! God bless de ferrybank girlz! :D

Advertisement