Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Achill race reports

• 09-07-2007 9:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭

What did everyone think?

I thought it was a very enjoyable race and course, made all the better by the beautiful scenery and nice weather. Personally a great race for me - 1:29, not a PB/SB (which was never going to happen on that course) but certainly my best finishing position. Two things the organisers could improve on:

1) The start - this was a disaster. Standing around for 25 mins after warming up is not conducive to a good race (especially when your not expecting it), and I don't know what caused it but it seemed totally unnecessary given that roads were not being closed. Allowing people to enter the start line from the front is also not ideal, and having some kind of parade to the start line seemed a bit silly.

2) The number of water stations was great and giving out small plastic bottles meant taking on board fluids was very easy. However, some isotonic drinks at a later station or the finish line would have been great.

Definitely will be back next year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Thought it was a tough course (I don't have hills where I train) and mile 10 killed me. Am I wrong in thinking that climb was tougher than the 'Hell of the West'?

Delay at the start was annoying but everything else was pretty good. Water stations were great, I love getting little bottles rather than plastic cups!

I'll try to go back next year but only if I get some hill training in...I'd a slow enough time after struggling up miles 8 and 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

A real good race for me also. Only my second half marathon ever (at any distance) in a time of 1:34 so very satisfied.
    Still think the 1st mile marker was short as went through first mile in 06:20. Most runners around me thought the same but later I heard runner with a garmin measured that distance to be correct.
    Agree with Peckam : start was a disaster. I think they delayed so to accomodate some late entries.
    Also that second last climb at 10 miles was really tough. No not as bad as the Hell of the West though
    Well done to the organisers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Abhainn wrote:
    ...Only my second half marathon ever (at any distance) ....
    :D

Sounds like a good race. Another one to add to my must-do list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭Peckham

Abhainn wrote:
    Still think the 1st mile marker was short as went through first mile in 06:20. QUOTE]

I had measured it on a Garmin and it was bang on, the 2nd mile was longer than a mile though (and I think the 5th was short, so it balanced out). I measured the race at 13.2 in total which is accurate enough!

Fantastic sweep into the finishing line, and nice finishing straight.

Advertisement