Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back Pain - Help!

Options
  • 09-07-2007 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have noticed that on runs of 2hrs+ I start to get serious back pain in my upper back. I find that I am also getting a twinge of a headache that is relieved as soon as I stand off the bike or look straight down at the ground (not the best for long periods :) ).

I felt the bike was too big for me - so I changed the stem from standard 120 to 80 mm and inverted it upwards but it still happens.

Anybody any ideas ?

Its a road bike by the way.

Thanks in advance.
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

have you been properly fitted to the bike or are you just doing it by feel? Are you holding the drops or the hoods? For the headache. Are you wearing a helmet? What is the fit like on that? If all of the above are correct then it's probably just a matter of getting more time in the saddle to help get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

If you are not used to drop handlebars i would consider changing them for wider ones, or even flat bars.

I used to buy bikes that were too big for me, and it was only when i bought frames with shorter top tube length that i began to get comfortable. I have a short torso and short arms, so I now have two bikes in the right size, as well as a good bit of steerer length so I can raise the bars to at least at the same height as the saddle. I see lots of bikes with saddles way higher than the bars, but that can't be comfortable for long periods of time unless the bike fits perfectly.

I also use these bars on one my bikes. A bit wide, but very comfortable.

ON my other road bike i use Nitto B135 Randonneur bars, which have upward sweeps on the tops, and therefore very comfortable, contorts the wrists a lot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I used to get bad back pain on a Trek 1000 and sold it as a result and went back to flat bars. A few years later put drops on my Specialized Sirrus hybrid and then got a Trek 5000; thousands of km later and no back problems at all.

I'm afraid I don't know what it might be, except to suggest that it can definately be got over. My money would be likely on fit and hours in the saddle. I think with the position I had on the 1000 I was finding it a bit difficult to crick my neck back to look in front of me at times.

Advertisement