Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help me please! :)

• 09-07-2007 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I am thinking of getting a makeup lesson next week. From reading other posts I have narrowed it down to Benefit or Pout. I am wondering if anyone can help me decide. I don't mind investing a bit but I would like an idea of the cost of a "set of makeup" from both. So basically, which one is more expensive? Thanks all :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

I'd definitely recommend Benefit. Their products are amazing, and they carry everything you could imagine, some things you wouldn't even know existed. They're probably the pricier of the two, but they're absolutely amazing.

I recommend the new concession in Clerys, or the one in Brown Thomas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Lola123

Benefit are good for...blushers, make up accessories etc. Their lessons are supposed to be good too.
    Mac or nars are best for eyeshadows (variety of colours).Mac aren't great for the actual lesson, but the products are great.
    Wouldn't recommend pout for a make up lesson plus any of the products i've tried don't have great staying power.
    Stila are great for foundations and concealers and they do a great lesson in application techniques.
    Bobbi brown are pretty good too.
    Depending on the look you are going for I would choose one of those.
    Do you want the lesson to be on make-up all over or more focused on eyes etc?
    Price wise, you're looking at 100 to 150 for a whole make up set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 tweet-tweet

I am looking for all over makeup, not just eyes but including. I am not very good with makeup. I'm 25 but dont need to wear it in my job. I basically want to know what colours suit me and how to achieve a nice look. Not over dressed if you know what I mean. Going by what you're saying I will probably go with Benefit. What is their counter in Arnotts like? That sounds like a good price, would be happy to spend that. Just didn't want to end up handing over 500 and feeling I couldn't say no. Do you pay for the lesson as well or just ask for advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I wouldn't hand over too much money before you try out a few products and are generally happy with the look.

I would recommend Mac for this kind of thing. Each make up application takes an hour and you pay e25 for the application and get e25 worth of products back. I'd recommend having a few of these before buying a lot of products.

Make sure you tell the make up artist what it is you want to learn before you start.

If you want 'proper' make up lessons, the LA Make Up Academy do lessons too. http://www.lamakeupacademy.com/main.htm

Also, I wouldn't recommend buying all your make up from one brand. Each one has strengths and weaknesses.

Maybe you could have a look at http://www.beautybible.com/home.htm and see what's recommended there.

I'd recommend getting a good set of brushes, this will cost you.

Also, have a look at Colour Me Beautiful for a more general image consultation.

Personally, I find Benefit good for certain products, but not so good for basics.

Everyone has different opinions on things and I really think you should research things in depth before spending a lot of money.

Other good websites for make up are forums.handbag.com, specktra.net and makeupalley.com

HTH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

I think Bobbi Brown is AMAZING!! had a make up application for a ball, my debs and my boyfriends birthday and would go back again.
    They really listen to what you want and the products are fab
    Application/discussion as the make up is applied is €30 ish which is redeemable off a product.
    they also filled in a sheet as they applied my makeup telling me the shades of everything used which meant i was able to go off with the make up on, see how i liked it and how wearable it was and return to them the next weekend to buy the lot
    Fab service esp in BT's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

A trip to a beautician might also be what you need, most do make up lessons and would be more impartial than an individual counter which might be more likely to push their products

Best of Luck and enjoy the pampering!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭little miss

Best make up lesson I've ever had was in Blue Erie but I was in One in the Powerscourt centre recently and that was brilliant too. They really took their time explaining what products to use, and how to use them, as well as what would suit me. Also didn't pressurise me to buy anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

Pout or benefit are fine, but I think Bobbi Brown are the business to show you the basics -pared down look.

What do you need to know? The best thing to focus on IMO, is to get the foundation/bronzer/blusher right. The rest follows on from there. Eyes can be contoured and try out different colours (at counters) to see what suits. As a rule of thumb look at the colour wheel and see what colours complement each other. eg: blue eyes and bronzes & pinks, Green eyes and silver/purples and brown eyes and green all look nice.

You can get the Bobbi Brown books in the library, if you want to pick up some tips without spending the money.

Also if I see a look I like in a magazine I cut it out and copy it - sometimes works if the girl has the same colouring as me.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

If you mean getting one of the free (ish) makeovers by one of the makeup brands in a department store like brown thomas, where you pay a desposit that's redeemable against products, I wouldn't go for Benefit. I got a 'makeover' there a few years ago and the girl who did it was really inexperienced, twas like having a child try out make up on my face :rolleyes:
    I do really like Benefit products though. I'd be inclined to go for Mac if you are going with the whole department store make up counter deal. All the staff there seem to be fairly experienced make up artists and really know what they are doing. If you want a really proper make up lesson/make over, you might be better off going to an actual beautician though as some people suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Lola123

Pythia wrote:
    I wouldn't hand over too much money before you try out a few products and are generally happy with the look.

I would recommend Mac for this kind of thing. Each make up application takes an hour and you pay e25 for the application and get e25 worth of products back. I'd recommend having a few of these before buying a lot of products.

Make sure you tell the make up artist what it is you want to learn before you start.

If you want 'proper' make up lessons, the LA Make Up Academy do lessons too. http://www.lamakeupacademy.com/main.htm

Also, I wouldn't recommend buying all your make up from one brand. Each one has strengths and weaknesses.

Maybe you could have a look at http://www.beautybible.com/home.htm and see what's recommended there.

I'd recommend getting a good set of brushes, this will cost you.

Also, have a look at Colour Me Beautiful for a more general image consultation.

Personally, I find Benefit good for certain products, but not so good for basics.

Everyone has different opinions on things and I really think you should research things in depth before spending a lot of money.

Other good websites for make up are forums.handbag.com, specktra.net and makeupalley.com

HTH!

Second your advice!!
    I find the same with the benefit stuff.
    And you're better off having a mix of products/brands...the best from each!

• Advertisement
Advertisement