Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing ISDN over network.

Options
  • 09-07-2007 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭

Right. I'm not big on networking but I've been asked to do this by a customer who can't get anyone else.

It's a new setup with 3 new pc's running Vista Business, a Dlink wireless router and an ISDN line. He wants the 3 machines to have internet access and be able to share data with each other on the network.

I've read about Internet Connection Sharing on the MS website and it looks handy enough but says it can't be used on a network with a DHCP server, which the router will be. Does this mean that I turn off DHCP on the router and the ISDN box does the routing and dishes out the IP addresses?

PC 1 will have the ISDN card installed and be connected to the Eircom ISDN box on the wall. It will also have a wired connection to the Dlink (plugged into the WAN port I presume????)
    PC 2 & 3 will have wifi cards and connect wirelessly to the Dlink.

Any help would be appreciated. Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Yup. Disable DHCP on the router, ICS will take over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

isdn is peculiar let me clarify :p .

sometimes it shows up as a network component, a gateway. The DHCP server is on the Dlink itself in that case

sometimes it shows as a modem so you need to turn on ICS after installing the modem to do the DHCP server thing on the machine which is connected to this 'modem' over serial cable or usb. It will be a 192.168.0.nn network and the machine connected to the modem will be 192.168.0.1 . ICS is a 'property' on a modem once the modem is installed first and you rebooted.

the golden rule on ANY network is 1 DHCP server only .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Thanks.
    How would the other 2 machines access the net?
    Would they only have access when the host initiates the connection or would they have control of the connection (ie would they be able to connect/disconnect without having to go to the host and connect it first)?
    Does the host computer connect into the WAN port on the Dlink?

Ta.

OK , few separate issues here

1. isdn is very trigger happy to go online .

You must block all the MS Network chatter posts eg ports 135-139 inclusive.

I would additionally put it on a 7 day timer plug/socket so it goes offline outside office hours ...eg to stop a web page refreshing itself all night and causing it to go online every time.

2. wan is usually the isdn connection itself.

3. they would be independent as long as they had a dhcp lease , you could always fix the ip and dns and gateway too if its only 3 machines on the network.

Thanks for that Sponge.
    This bit has me confused though.
    Sponge Bob wrote:
    2. wan is usually the isdn connection itself.
    The wan connection from the isdn box will be going into the ISDN card on the host pc. From the host pc there will be an ethernet connection to the wan port on the Dlink wireless router. Thats the configuration I was thinking of.
    Should it be different?

• Advertisement

soz . read the first post again and dlink is not THE isdn box the isdn is a pc card .

so back to my first post, depends on whether windows 'sees' a MODEM or a NETWORK card because isdn can be seen as either (not both) depending on the pc card .

the wan port on the dlink is either upstream lan (so it typically connects to network card in pc containing isdn modem ) or else its a dsl port which is inapplicable .

whats on the other side of the dlink , a 4 port ethernet jobbie is it ??

in short cant tell you exactly without knowing model numbers etc of isdn card and dlink

the only think i can assume now is that the vista pcs have a network built in .

better download vista 32 and vista 64 drivers for the isdn card before you go onsite as well :)

so I still cannot tell you to go with dhcp created by internet connection sharing and punting 192.168.0.n addresses out of the pc with the isdn card in it (its always 192.168.0.n with ICS) or to run DHCP off the Dlink .

Sponge Bob wrote:
    better download vista 32 and vista 64 drivers for the isdn card before you go onsite as well :)
    The drivers are built into Vista according to the manufacturers. We'll see.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

The easiest and most secure solution would be to forget the ISDN card and get an ISDN router such as:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cisco-803-ISDN-Router-with-PSU-RJ45-Cable-Boxed_W0QQitemZ170128732304QQihZ007QQcategoryZ108995QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ie/D-LINK-DI-304-ISDN-ROUTER-DI304-European-Mains-Plug_W0QQitemZ260137290576QQihZ016QQcategoryZ108995QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Cisco-800-Series-801-ISDN-Router-Tested_W0QQitemZ230148568693QQihZ013QQcategoryZ108995QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These can be bought quite cheaply but make sure it comes with a power supply, instructions, and login/password details! [edit] and make sure it's a European model, US ISDN devices won't work here. [edit]

Connect ISDN -> ISDN Router (Ethernet) -> (WAN) DLink (LAN)<- PCs

In this setup the DLink router would provide DHCP, Firewall (the ISDN router may not do this), and the wireless connection. Connection sharing via Windows is asking for trouble in my opinion.

Another option is to put the isdn card in an old pc (with a network card) and install IPCOP Linux Firewall:

http://ipcop.org/index.php?name=FAQ&id_cat=2

http://ipcop.org/1.4.0/en/install/html/initial-configuration.html

jeez dunno what the fritz shows up as ???? modem or network ????

wan port on dlink is ethernet though not dsl .

if fritz is a modem'' , it could be confusing because the nic on the pc and the dlink dhcp will be set to 192.168.0.1 .

if you change the dlink to use the range 192.168.1.n ( not 192.168.0.n) and reboot then the wan port could be a 0. address and no confilict , try to clone the address of the NIC in the pc I would say, as per a cable connection

the wan will have to have an address consistent with the range started by the fritz software. It nats to an internal range then

try the cable modem advice to pick up the cloned address from the nic on the pc

then you may have to turn off dhcp on the dlink and let the ics allocate ips on the dlink devices as well through the cloned wan ip port

FAQs for DI-524

function ventanaSecundaria (URL){ window.open(URL,"ventana1","width=700, height=500, scrollbars=no, menubar=no, location=no, resizable=no") } function iframeP() { document.getElementById('printVersion').style.display='block'; } function clos() { document.getElementById('printVersion').style.display='none'; } Question:
    How do I configure my router to work with a Cable modem connection?

Answer:
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Please note that this FAQ applies to most cable connections, set top boxes or satellite modems [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](e.g. NTL World, Telewest)[/FONT]
    Step 1 Log into the web-based configuration by typing in the IP address of the router (default:192.168.0.1) in your web browser. The username is admin (all lowercase) and the password is blank (nothing).

Note: The address 192.168.0.1 is NOT on the Internet. The web-based configuration is built-in to the router.

Step 2 Click the Home tab and click the WAN button. Dynamic IP Address is the default value, however, if Dynamic IP Address is not selected as the WAN type, select Dynamic IP Address by clicking on the radio button. Click Clone Mac Address. Click on Apply and then Continue to save the changes.

Step 3 Power cycle the cable modem and router:
    • Turn the cable modem off (first)
    • Turn the router off
    • Leave them off for 2 to 5 minutes
    • Turn the cable modem on (first)
    • Wait until you get a solid cable light on the cable modem
    • Turn the router on
    • Wait 30 seconds
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Step 4 Follow step 1 and log back into the web configuration. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Click the Status tab and click the Device Info button. If you do not have a public IP address under the WAN heading, click on DHCP Renew and then click Continue. It may take a few minutes to obtain an IP address.[/FONT]

and good luck :)

• Advertisement

Friggin ISDN card didn't arrive today but got the rest setup.
    I'll let you know how it goes.

Ta

Advertisement