Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Numbing for tattoo?

Options
  • 09-07-2007 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Just wondering does anybody know if it's true theres an artist in the Dublin area that can numb you before you get your tattoo? Thanks for any answers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 bordrlinepsycho

Even if there is there isnt really much point in being numbed cos it will just make there be an after pain whick you dont really get if you just get tattooed without any numbing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

You can get emla cream from boots etc for before a tattoo but it only lasts ~20mins so isn't really worth it as a tattoo if its any bigger then a tiny one will take longer then that to do and you can't re apply the cream. All in all suck it up it'll make you a stronger person in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 squiggy

You can get emla cream from boots etc for before a tattoo but it only lasts ~20mins so isn't really worth it as a tattoo if its any bigger then a tiny one will take longer then that to do and you can't re apply the cream. All in all suck it up it'll make you a stronger person in the end

Might just try that, it's not actually for me it's my sister is looking for something I have tattoos myself didnt mind the pain but she doesnt have much of a pain threshold!

Its all in the mind tbh just tell her it doesn't hurt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Exactly. I've yet to meet anyone who actually found a tattoo too painful to go through with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

My feet took six sessions because I couldn't stand it for any longer than half an hour. My tattoo artist did use a numbing cream on me for one or two of those, dunno what it was though, she provided it. It definitely takes the edge off, and if you were getting something on a fleshy area you'd probably barely feel anything. I wouldn't use it again though now that my feet are covered -- I think the pain is an important part of the experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

eh actually you cant get emla from boots.Its prescription only.You could try ametop though but its not for tattoos really.tbh if you cant stick the pain you shouldnt be getting a tattoo

Yes yes you can get emla from them I've gotten it loads of times from them and not just one branch.

and how long ago was this?I was looking foe some last week and i literally went to ten chemists and asked and everyone said prescription only.

http://indigo.ie/~prospero/html/beauty.htm

http://www.ms-society.ie/talk/book.html

both these pages mention how you have to have a prescription for it.Its to help numb you for injections so theyre hardly just going to give it to anyone

I've been getting it for years in most places, boots in the green was the last place i got it.

As a side note emla is a 5% solution of lidocaine and prylocaine mixed with some dmso, So you can buy these sprays in sex shops for desensitising men which are 15% lidocaine and mix them with some 50/50 dmso and water and you get a stronger acting version of emla, Watch out for the dmso though it'll give you garlic breath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

No tattooist will automatically numb you before you get a tattoo squiggy, but your sister could go in a speak to her chosen tattooist about it beforehand and ask them if they would mind her using a topical anaesthetic, although she really shouldn't need it. I wouldn't generally advocate numbing because the pain is part of the experience, but I had my rib piece started today and some parts of it were absolutely excruciating. I have no option but to numb the area before my next session because there were a couple of patches of sensitive skin that were just too painful to sit through. Don't let her be put off though, the ribs is just a bad area!

Sarranewrap, Emla isn't prescription only. The first pharmacy on Grafton Street (coming from the St. Stephen's Green direction) stocks it and will sell it to you without any questions asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Babybass

I agree - pain is part of the experience. Although its not really that painful - more annoying! But you can zone it out if it gets too much - definately all in the mind. I'm assuming that as its your sisters first tat that shes not going for something massive - so she should be ok! Also I find that if you go to a tattooist that just keeps going its better - its the stopping and starting thats the worst part (i experienced that with a touch-up and it was worse than getting the whole tattoo done!!):eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

when i got mine done i pretended i was on a sunny beach swimming in the water! lol didnt help but was funny

No tattooist will automatically numb you before you get a tattoo squiggy, but your sister could go in a speak to her chosen tattooist about it beforehand and ask them if they would mind her using a topical anaesthetic, although she really shouldn't need it. I wouldn't generally advocate numbing because the pain is part of the experience, but I had my rib piece started today and some parts of it were absolutely excruciating. I have no option but to numb the area before my next session because there were a couple of patches of sensitive skin that were just too painful to sit through. Don't let her be put off though, the ribs is just a bad area!

Sarranewrap, Emla isn't prescription only. The first pharmacy on Grafton Street (coming from the St. Stephen's Green direction) stocks it and will sell it to you without any questions asked.

go to the chemists beside Georges arcade,and i gaurantee you wont be served it.ametop maybe but not emla

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

go to the chemists beside Georges arcade,and i gaurantee you wont be served it.ametop maybe but not emla

But... why would he go to somewhere you say definitely wouldn't give it to him when he knows a selection of places that'll give it out freely? :p Surely not just to prove a point that doesn't really matter!

But... why would he go to somewhere you say definitely wouldn't give it to him when he knows a selection of places that'll give it out freely? :p Surely not just to prove a point that doesn't really matter!
    Exactly. Except I'm a she, not a he. Damn you masculine name!

Sarranewrap, chill. I was trying to help, not argue with you :)

You're a she!! Sexy pm sent:D

Did you think I was male all this time as well?! If I was big and manly I'm sure I wouldn't even be considering cheating my way through a tattoo! It was the bit between the boobs that nearly killed me :p

Rules of the interweb 1: All posters are assumed to be male til proven otherwise and still be cautious of the proof

I'm big and manly and I can barely stand the bits going over the ribs and kidneys

I'm big and manly and I can barely stand the bits going over the ribs and kidneys
    Do they make you whimper out loud? :o

• Advertisement

They generally make me curse mono and her pain inflicting stick

Maybe I'm not such a wimp then :p Anyway it'll be worth it in the end, just gonna have to finish the piece in much shorter sessions that I'd planned. Still have another 3-4 hours to go, ouchie :(

Any pics of the start of it?

You mean can I show you my boobs? :p
    There's not much to see yet, it's really just outline shading. I only lasted an hour and half in the first session...

It's gonna be a snow scene and the outlines there are obviously mountains. The star will be negative space and is going to be surrounded by starry sky (the big ouch!), and that will eventually continue up to the aurora borealis on my chest. Think I'll be putting that bit off for a long time though after this, ****ing hell. Also my shirt is kinda in the way there, but it curves up around my sides.

Sarranewrap, chill. I was trying to help, not argue with you :)

sorry was just trying to prove a point,don't want to be making any enemies

im a girl too but people always think im a guy:confused:

No sweat. Well I thought it was pretty obvious you were female tbh, dunno where anyone would get that idea from :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

No sweat. Well I thought it was pretty obvious you were female tbh, dunno where anyone would get that idea from :p
    There are no girls on the intarweb! :rolleyes: :p
    For me the front of the ribs hurt, but on the spine! Agh!:eek: Because of where it is I had to be careful of how I sat/slept for weeks because it was still quite sore/tender. Leaves me thankful it is a reasonably simple design (took ~30-40 minutes if I remember right) and not some big masterpiece that would take hours to do.

You mean can I show you my boobs? :p

Well if you're offering. Looks nice is it going to be higher up or stay that sort of size?

For some reason I knew sarrane wrap was a girl odd eh? Don't know why.

On a side note one of my friends got a heavy black work tribal sort thingy done on his ribs in a 9hour session and just sat there without flinching for any of it, makes me wish i had no feelings

It's going to go up to right under my boobs in a kind of underbust corset shape, then the bit with the star will go up a bit too.

That's ****ing insane! My legs were literally shaking for most of it, it was that painful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

was it me? mine was about 8 hours i think. i took it like a man and cried when no one looked! :cool:
    and jeebus bounty hunter is a girl, nice ink, itl be cool when its done

Advertisement