Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 million squid for an art gallery in Athlone

• 09-07-2007 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Did ya ever hear such rubbish... what would you be doing spending that kinda money on a gallery for athlone, who do they think they are?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nitemareman

I agree! What a load of ****e.

1. It won't be used.
    2. Does the town really need one?
    3. I seen the Design for it, and it looks like ****!
    4. €4m ???? Could it not be spent on something of use to the town?

I can see this turning into another "Water Feature". Remember all the money that was spent putting a "sprinkler system" (Water Feature) in the middle of the river. It never worked, and it looked like ****!

Check this link (Athlone Does not need an Arts Gallery)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdFqBV6zFuI

San Athlone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 LizzyD

Love it!!! Yeah that's Athlone alright... Absolutely no culture what so ever... The Art Gallery would just become another place for late night under age drinking and drug dealing!!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

It's a good thing. The galleries in Dublin are very popular, great for the schools and colleges. Just because you don't like art, doesn't mean it shouldn't happen. I have bought a few original paintings and sculptures in Dublin, maybe the Athlone gallery might be as good or better value, I for one will be checking it out. More money coming to the midlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 LizzyD

lightening wrote:
    It's a good thing. The galleries in Dublin are very popular, great for the schools and colleges. Just because you don't like art, doesn't mean it shouldn't happen. I have bought a few original paintings and sculptures in Dublin, maybe the Athlone gallery might be as good or better value, I for one will be checking it out. More money coming to the midlands.

Hey I love art... I spent many a year in Galway and Dublin and loved going to galleries and the like... I'm just not so sure that everyone else in Athlone is as interested and even if they were, would they go? I don't know if you've noticed but the ppl of Athlone are pretty lazy!!! But then again it's not about the ppl of Athlone really- it's about the tourists that it would bring in during the summer months. Maybe to make some money out of it they could turn it into a stripper bar during the winter months to keep the locals happy!! hehe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

LizzyD wrote:
    Hey I love art... I spent many a year in Galway and Dublin and loved going to galleries and the like...

So its ok for Dublin and Galway, but not Athlone?
    LizzyD wrote:
    I'm just not so sure that everyone else in Athlone is as interested and even if they were, would they go?

Everyone else but you?
    LizzyD wrote:
    I don't know if you've noticed but the ppl of Athlone are pretty lazy!!!

I don't really think so, the town is booming, the factorys are still open, the pubs are busy... I trained with a couple of Athlone and they were pretty well motivated and not at all lazy.
    LizzyD wrote:
    But then again it's not about the ppl of Athlone really

??
    LizzyD wrote:
    it's about the tourists that it would bring in during the summer months. Maybe to make some money out of it they could turn it into a stripper bar during the winter months to keep the locals happy!! hehe

The river is the big attraction in Athlone, angling and boating are a huge draw for the town. I spend the odd weekend in Athlone, way better than most towns in Galway, an art gallery will do nothing but improve the good name its getting lately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement