Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp stains showing through new paint

Options
  • 09-07-2007 12:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm painting a ceiling with some old damp stains on it, but no matter how many coats of paint I put on it, the stain always seems to show through (I've put on 4 coats so far). Any suggestions? Does it mean the damp is still coming through? It doesn't feel damp at all. Is there a special kind of paint I should be using?

thanks,
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

You could probably use a primer to act as an undercoat. Its more dense than emulsion and should provide you with a good base and prevent stains getting through. I had the same trouble with a bathroom ceiling. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

or there is special paint for blocking out stains

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Some primer sealer will do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Greebo's right - there is a special paint for permanently covering damp stains.
    The name escapes me at present!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Aquaseal Stain Block?

There are a few it seems, called stain block

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

At the risk of asking the obvious, have you sorted out the cause of the damp?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭jdpl28

At the risk of asking the obvious, have you sorted out the cause of the damp?

as far as I know, there's no damp currently. Just damp stains from a previous leak. I'll look more into this just to be sure though.

Advertisement