Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dodgy speedo+fuel gauge

Options
  • 09-07-2007 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Just got a new car there the other day.
    Driving up the motorway yesterday doing dead on 120km/h on the speedo and the car seemed to be going somewhat slower.
    Other cars were overtaking me at a decent rate.
    I reset the average speed counter thing and stayed at between 120-123 on the speedo.
    When the average speed was calculated on the digital display(over the last km?), it read 105km/h.
    Also I ran out of diesel when the needle was pointing halfway between the last white marker(1/4 full) and the red.
    Is this an easy fix?
    What could have caused the mis-calibration?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Could be the voltage regulator on the dash - if this goes any voltage-dependant gauges lose their reference point and can read quite strangely. Was your temperature gauge affected too? What about any lights coming on/off? Might be a handy fix if you're handy with a soldering iron and depending on the car it is, but you could be looking at new clocks from a dealer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭nupplenits

Temp gauge seemed perfect.
    The handbrake light flicks on just for a milisecond when taking off with a bit of power in first/second.
    It's a 05 Almera 2.2

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Hmmm... I've never worked on the newer Opels unfortunately (or fortunately some might say ;) ) It might be a dealer thing with the clocks being controlled by computer rather than by voltage reference like in older cars. Maybe it just needs resetting or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

nupplenits wrote:
    It's a 05 Almera 2.2
    Should be still under warranty so. Just bring it back to a Nissan dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

I've never worked on the newer Opels

Not much help if you had anyway, it's a nissan......

• Advertisement

How? What's the standard warranty?

nupplenits wrote:
    How? What's the standard warranty?
    3 years.

Hmm ok i just googled it, but thanks.
    It says
    Nissan.ie wrote:
    # Your vehicle must be maintained in accordance with Nissan’s maintenance and service schedule.
    I have no previous service history with it.
    Will it be ok?

Oh and:
    nissan.ie wrote:
    You should ensure that the vehicles service history record logbook is accurately completed and stamped by the servicing dealer after every service.

nupplenits wrote:
    Hmm ok i just googled it, but thanks.
    It says
    I have no previous service history with it.
    Will it be ok?
    I don't know. If I were you, i'd'd start by finding out whether and when the car was serviced. When you bought it, did you enquire about SH? Is it an import? What's the mileage?

• Advertisement

I bought it privately.
    It has 40,000 km(25k miles?)
    The guy I bought it off said he only had it six months(he needed something bigger to tow horse box) and he changed oil, oil/fuel/air filters himself. He said he got no service history along with it when he bought it.

Suppose it'd be better just to ring up/drop into nissan.

nupplenits wrote:
    I bought it privately.
    It has 40,000 km(25k miles?)
    The guy I bought it off said he only had it six months(he needed something bigger to tow horse box) and he changed oil, oil/fuel/air filters himself. He said he got no service history along with it when he bought it.

Suppose it'd be better just to ring up/drop into nissan.
    Hmmm. I'd be asking myself whether the mileage is genuine. Try Nissan anyway, I suppose you've got nothing to lose.

I thought about the mileage too but I'm pretty sure it's genuine because the car is practically spotless. Small scratch on the front(done by the previous owner while reversing around a corner), a tiny chip the size of baby fingernail in the windscreen and the speedo are the only issues I've noticed.

Advertisement