Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall Tiling to the Floor

Options
  • 09-07-2007 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I'm going to start tiling our en-suite this weekend (floors & walls) and her-indoors wants the wall tiles to go all the way to the floor (i.e. no skirting).

There's a gap about 1/2" or 3/4" between the floor and the plasterboard. What's the best way of filling this for the subsequent tiling? No More Big Gaps or something?

Or would I be best going with the skirting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Skirting is an Irish solution to an Irish problem. ;)
    Some people say that skirting is designed to hide the 'airgap' so that the wall can breathe. I say it's there because plasterers are messy individuals and it serves to hide the messy finish. My skirting boards have anything from 1 to 2 cm gaps behind them, all because the plaster finish at the base of the wall was dire!

Anyhow - I digress...
    No More Big Gaps is foam based and will not hold your tiles secure. Get some patching plaster and fill the gap. Sand it down with a rasp afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I used foam gap filler for exactly this purpose, I dont think the loss of 2 cms of grip will affect the tile, I only used it incase someone kicks the base of the tile, if its unsupported it might break.

that said, plan how you are going to stop the foam expanding past the plasterboard *before* you start :)

Advertisement