Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dear TodayFM ... Please hire a swing jock.

• 09-07-2007 2:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭

Dear Today FM,

I have been listening to you radio station for years, and I thoroughly enjoy it. You have professionalism complimenting the fun aspect of your broadcasts.
    You have a very suitable music policy. I could go on, but couldn't be arsed.

You have a great line up of presenters. I think however, you made the fatal mistake of hiring humans. You see, humans need to take a break now and again, leaving a gaping hole in your programme schedule.

For the past couple of months , you have been chopping and changing your presenters for various shows as often as Alan Hughes combs his hair. As a result, I never know who'll be on the radio when I turn it on.

While Tom Dunne filled in for Ray Darcy a couple of weeks ago, he got some guests to present his 7-10 slot. It worked well in its capacity as a music programme.

However, the lads down in Ian Dempseys office got wind of this and decided it would also be a great idea for the stations flagship breakfast show programme.

Fair Enough.....

*7AM Monday 09/07/07* *Sleepy Head Awakes*

MARY BORING COUGHLAN was trying to string a sentence together on the radio!!!

I could go on about this terrible two hours of radio.... but I hope you realise how rubbish it was.

Please hire a swing jock to cover holidays.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Ah... when I saw this thread title first, I thought you wanted Today FM to hire a DJ who would play swing music (y'know... big band stuff, Glenn Miller and the like). Now that I've read it, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Did you actually send that to Today FM though? And if so, did you get a reply? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

But one swing jock can't prevent this from happening during the summer months when there will be a number of presenters on holidays. At the moment, both Ian Dempsey and Ray Foley are off. Philip Cawley can't fill in for both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I didn't send it to them Bard ..... was just venting a bit of anger on Monday morning!!! Enjoyed Neil Delamere yesterday but then again this morning that wan Linda Martin is on !!!!!
    Dudess wrote:
    But one swing jock can't prevent this from happening during the summer months when there will be a number of presenters on holidays. At the moment, both Ian Dempsey and Ray Foley are off. Philip Cawley can't fill in for both of them.

That's what I mean Dudess .... Phil Cawley is weekend and swing .... but you can get too much of him too when he is filling in during the week and then on the weekend too. Tim Kelly was filling in for Anne Marie Kelly at the start of the week too... What I mean is they should have a full time jock specifically for swing. If needs be, then bring in someone from the weekend!

It's a shame that a great radio station with some brilliant talent, can be ruined by bringing in people like Mary Coughlan and Linda Martin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mary and Linda were the only 2 duds this week.
    Matt, Neil and Lorraine were all pretty good....

Next week we have Tony Fenton.
    (If anyone is looking for me, I'll be listening to newstalk) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Since Jim O Neill has left for South Africa there has been a gaping hole at yesterday fm. What's wrong with Derek Flood doing a bit of weekday swing work? I for one don't bother too much with it anymore (you'll find me every weekday morning hovering between 2fm and Chris Moyles!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Tony Fenton is going on holidays! Sweet divine jesus, I've been waiting for this moment for the past 10 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Nightwish wrote:
    Tony Fenton is going on holidays! Sweet divine jesus, I've been waiting for this moment for the past 10 months.

Not yet. He's covering for Ian Dempsey next week.

So he's doing 2 shows? Yesterday FM are really scraping the bottom of the barrell here arent they? I'd rather listen to Dumb & Dumber on 2FM in the morning than that sleazy robot with his faux Mid atlantic guffaws and ever so predictable playlists.

I think Phil Cawley will be filling in for him in the afternoon.

Phil is already covering for Ray Foley isnt he? Wtf is up with that radio station? 2 DJ's go on holidays and the whole schedule is fecked up. Not that I should care of course :D

• Advertisement

Nightwish wrote:
    Phil is already covering for Ray Foley isnt he? Wtf is up with that radio station? 2 DJ's go on holidays and the whole schedule is fecked up. Not that I should care of course :D

Admit it, you care. ;)

Only because the station makes my ears bleed on daily basis. And I have a sneaking suspicion the station is run by some mentally deficient monkies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Whatever about their staff roster, I think it's the height of laziness on the part of the produers not to at least do up a few temporary jingles to suit whoever it is is filling in for the jock on their holidays.
    The only guest I heard last week for Dempsey was Matt Cooper and I thought it was a great show....that's coming from someone who abhors Demo's brekkie slot. Cooper and Dunne are about the only two in the entire station that I can stand to listen to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Wertz wrote:
    Whatever about their staff roster, I think it's the height of laziness on the part of the produers not to at least do up a few temporary jingles to suit whoever it is is filling in for the jock on their holidays.

I think that is more to do with branding than anything else... ie. when Dempsey is away , it is still "The Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show with Nescafe Original" except with somebody else doing the ****etalking.

Agree with one of the above posters, Linda Martin and Mary Coughlan were definately the worst of the guests last week. Quite enjoyed Neil Delamere and Matt Cooper (even if he had a few strange musical choices !!!! )

Tony Fenton this week. I for one, wont be listening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

TmB wrote:
    Mary and Linda were the only 2 duds this week.
    Matt, Neil and Lorraine were all pretty good....

Next week we have Tony Fenton.
    (If anyone is looking for me, I'll be listening to newstalk) :)

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

jesus phucking chri5t who gives a mother phucking 5hit

clearly not you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Good point, well made :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Busted Flush banned for a week for posting persistently off topic abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I think that Today FM should utilise Ann-Marie Kelly more, I actually quite enjoy her, she likes good music too... Or even Alison Curtis, annoying voice but she's quite funny and stuff...

As long as we don't have to put up with Tim Kelly... Live from the Tim Kelly Building! gowl...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Its a real puzzler that station. First they demote Cawley to weekend work and all of a sudden he finds himself back at what he was doing for years that the management obviously felt he wasn't pulling in the ratings? (that must feel a bit strange). It doesn't make any sense!

Fresh blood I say fresh blood and not celebrity blood. Some pure jocks blood if you wouldn't mind. ( DJ Linda Martin will ye feck off!):rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

More Today FM musical chairs. Ray Foley is doing the breakfast show next week,while Phil Cawley will move back to cover the Afternoon slot and Fenton will be back to his usual time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

dulpit wrote:
    I think that Today FM should utilise Ann-Marie Kelly more, I actually quite enjoy her, she likes good music too...
    I agree.... stick Fenton on while I'm asleep, and give AMK a decent slot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ray Foley wasn't bad this morning, although he seemed kind of lost without his backups...

Can't wait to turn off the radio @ 12 once Cawley comes on though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Gotta disagree.....great to hear Cawley on instead of Foley and Fenton (unfortunately not both simultaneously).....

Foley did VERY well filling in for Ray D'Arcy a while back, so it makes me wonder whether it's his backups that egg him on too much and make the show try too hard and sound over-hyper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭patrickc

Liam Byrne wrote:
    Gotta disagree.....great to hear Cawley on instead of Foley and Fenton (unfortunately not both simultaneously).....

Foley did VERY well filling in for Ray D'Arcy a while back, so it makes me wonder whether it's his backups that egg him on too much and make the show try too hard and sound over-hyper.

i agree foley is no good with his team and way better on his own, I still think Phil is the best dj there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

bbability wrote:
    First they demote Cawley to weekend work and all of a sudden he finds himself back at what he was doing for years that the management obviously felt he wasn't pulling in the ratings? (that must feel a bit strange). It doesn't make any sense!
    Yeah but it's only filling-in.

Advertisement