Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bust Waist Hip Measurements

• 09-07-2007 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

I was just looking at some models from Assets Agency (on the Glenda Gilson thread in After Hours) and noticed that the said measurements of most models are quite small (25'' waist and 34'' hips) and in some cases hideously disproportionate (28'' waist with 35'' hips, leaving a waist hip ratio of 0.8)!

I was just wondering what way these are measured because I'm sure some of them have to be wrong. Generally speaking ones hips should be a little bit bigger than ones bust (obviously this depends on the body shape of the individual, but generally speaking it should be close or the hips a bit bigger) and I've seen a lot of measurements for women with busts bigger than hips. Surely some of the way in which they're measured must be wrong?

I reckon the waist of some of the models is written down as a bit smaller than it is tbh, and possibly the hip measurements are taken at the top of the hips instead of at the very bottom? Anyone care to shed any light on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I wouldn't be an expert on how exactly these measurements are taken, but I'd just like to say that last year the average adult woman in the UK had a waist of 34".
    I'm sure we're not too far behind that - so who's worried about hip or bust size?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭carryboy

Reyman wrote:
    I wouldn't be an expert on how exactly these measurements are taken, but I'd just like to say that last year the average adult woman in the UK had a waist of 34".
    I'm sure we're not too far behind that - so who's worried about hip or bust size?

that's waist huh?not hips?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

in some cases hideously disproportionate (28'' waist with 35'' hips, leaving a waist hip ratio of 0.8)

That is not hideously disproportionate at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

carryboy wrote:
    that's waist huh?not hips?:D

Waist alright - yes! I'll add to that by saying that for adult guys the average waist in Ireland seems to be 36". This is anecdotal and based on what clothes sales assistants in town have told me.
    But it's probably true - have a look next time you're buying a pair of trousers and see what sizes are stocked the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

35" waist? Jesus that's huge!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭UnReg123

35" isn't that huge, its a size 14 isn't it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Well, I've a 29" waist and 35" hips, and I'm pretty normal-looking! I do also eat lots; it's genetic, not a result of starvation ;)

A 25" waist does sound quite tiny, but those girls aren't standard-model tall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I've seen a lot of measurements for women with busts bigger than hips. Surely some of the way in which they're measured must be wrong?

I reckon the waist of some of the models is written down as a bit smaller than it is tbh

I reckon a lot of those girls have just exaggerated their bust size tbh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Hermione* wrote:
    Well, I've a 29" waist and 35" hips, and I'm pretty normal-looking! I do also eat lots; it's genetic, not a result of starvation ;)

A 25" waist does sound quite tiny, but those girls aren't standard-model tall.

Do you mind me asking you what part of your hips you measure?

I'm just thinking, a 25'' or smaller waist would belong to very petite girls usually. If they didn't have such small proportions they'd be disproportionate, but none of those models looked petite.

The 34'' inch average waist in the UK is probably because of the level of obesity over there tbh. We'd probably not be too far behind in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

Aren't they all over 5'7? Given the average waist size of a ten yr old child is 22", surely any grown adult who is tall with this size waist is severely over underweight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boffin

For the person who asked to get your measurements......

BUST- Measure around the fullest part of bust and straight across back (1)
    CHEST- around body above fullest part of bust (2)
    Waist- around body at natural waistline (3)
    HIP- around body at fullest part—usually 7-9" (18-23cm) below waist (4)
    BACK WAIST LENGTH - from the most prominent bone at base of neck to the natural waistline (5)
    HEIGHT- measure (without shoes) standing against a wall

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭I-like-eggs,mmm

UnReg123 wrote:
    35" isn't that huge, its a size 14 isn't it??

Nope... a 32" waist is a size 14

I think most size guides are bull**** because I'd be about 10-12 and mostly 10, sometimes 8 on top and according to some size guides I'd be between a 14 and 16, bigger even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Do you mind me asking you what part of your hips you measure?
    Not at all. I could have taken the measurement from the wrong part, but I measured where I felt my hip bone. I don't know if that's right or wrong, but it's where I presumed the hip measurement ought to be taken.

That's not where you're meant to measure your hips, look at boffins post to find out where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Is there actaully a guide on what the ratio is suposed to be or whats a 'normal' / average difference between waist to hips measurements??

The normal ratio of waist to hip is 0.7 (if you divide your waist measurement by your hip measurement you should ideally get around this figure.) The smaller the ratio (0.65, for example), statistically the more feminine the figure (smaller ratios correlate to higher oestrogen to testosterone ratios.)

0.7 is possibly the average, it's really how you're shape is meant to be, and coincidentally the one men (according to surveys) find the most attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭UnReg123

my bad, i get really confused when it come to inch measurements!!

Advertisement