Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with NTL cable and new laptop (Vista)

Options
  • 09-07-2007 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭

Currently renting in a house that has an existing ntl service. Recently got hold of a laptop with vista on it. The broadband cable has an usb connection. When I plug it in vista asks for the software that came with the connection (cd or dvd). However this is not available. Any ideas what I can do? I tried the ntl website, to try and download any software to a portable a drive and bring it home but no joy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭koloughlin

The ntl modem will probably have an ethernet port in addition to the usb one. If your laptop has an ethernet port then grab an ethernet cable and connect the two with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yeah you should try and use an ethernet connection, its designed specifically for networking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Thanks for the replys. Off the top of my head I can't remember if the modem had an Ethernet cable but I'll check when I get home this evening. If on the off chance that there isn't one any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I'll eat my hat if the modem does not have an ethernet connection. If it dosnt , I can email the driver to you (If the email will allow an attachment that big.)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Get NTL to swap it. They absolutely do have ones with ethernet, and it's better for networking than USB anyway. As long as the ethernet port works, no additional driver needed. On the Network properties untick EVERYthing except TCP/IP and set the TCP/IP properties to DHCP/Automatic IP, Automatic DNS/Gateway

• Advertisement
Advertisement