Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web hosting ethics ..

Options
  • 09-07-2007 2:44pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just a very quick query. I have a .ie registered and have a company hosting the site for me. The connection from Ireland to the UK went t*tswise on Thursday night/Friday morning and so my site went down. I queried the hosting company why and they said 'Our data center is in the UK'. First I heard of it as I had been told that they were hosting from a rack in hosting 365. My question is this; is it ethical to have a .ie site hosted in the UK? Is it ethical for an Irish hosting company to host .ie sites from the UK? Do they need to tell their customers this is the case? Do I need to let my boss/customers know? Will this endanger my .ie status? This probably seems silly and racist. It is isn't. I have no problem with the site being hosted in the UK, I just have a problem with not being told.

-RD

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ethical? A domain can be hosted from anywhere but having a localised tld such as .ie hosted outside of Ireland won't help your SEO rankings.
    Who is the company and what did they promise you? It may be the case that you were deceived but we can't answer that without knowing what they first said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If they are pretending that they are hosting in Ireland when they aren't then it's unethical.

Who are they?

If you don't want to name them in public please feel free to send me a PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

It all depends on the hosting company and what they say on their site.

Since it's an .ie domain it could be better for your SEO to have it located on Irish IP space.

There are some companies who use the term 'Irish host' because they are located in Ireland, but their servers and customer support are based abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Surprisingly few of the hosts (really only the larger ones, but even then not all of those) actually physically host in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Surprisingly few of the hosts (really only the larger ones, but even then not all of those) actually physically host in this country.

Most of the top 15 (according to http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/tophosts/Country/IE ) use Irish based servers.

The ones that don't are now in the minority.

I divided them up here:

http://www.hostingdirectory.ie/pricing.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

You might need to update that table with our new pricing now Michele (.ie , €25.95, com/net/org €5.95, etc)

Advertisement