Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick Peno Points Question

Options
  • 09-07-2007 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭

I insured myself about 2 weeks back through Hibernian online motor insurance service, went to pick up the 2nd hand car the following day and got pulled on the drive home (by an unmarked squad car driving right behind me :( ) for using the mobile phone whilst driving. The guards told me I would be getting 2 points and a fine. I am on my first provisional.

I subsequently got the insurance documents from Hibernian, which require me to send back the Motor Proposal Form to confirm all details are correct etc. The one thing that has changed, however, is that since I opened the policy online, I got stopped for the mobile phone thing. I have not yet received any letter from the Gardaí in the post regarding the points and fine.

I am wondering do I "have 2 penalty points" now, or do the points only become effective when I receive the letter - in other words do I need to notify Hibernian that my circumstances have changed since I opened the policy?

Also, should I not have received a letter by now to pay the fine? It's been over 2 weeks since I was stopped...

jAH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

jArgHA wrote:
    I insured myself about 2 weeks back through Hibernian online motor insurance service, went to pick up the 2nd hand car the following day and got pulled on the drive home (by an unmarked squad car driving right behind me :( ) for using the mobile phone whilst driving. The guards told me I would be getting 2 points and a fine. I am on my first provisional.

I subsequently got the insurance documents from Hibernian, which require me to send back the Motor Proposal Form to confirm all details are correct etc. The one thing that has changed, however, is that since I opened the policy online, I got stopped for the mobile phone thing. I have not yet received any letter from the Gardaí in the post regarding the points and fine.

I am wondering do I "have 2 penalty points" now, or do the points only become effective when I receive the letter - in other words do I need to notify Hibernian that my circumstances have changed since I opened the policy?

Also, should I not have received a letter by now to pay the fine? It's been over 2 weeks since I was stopped...

jAH

Only when you recieve official notification is when you have them. Also, i dont think 2 points will matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Far as I remember from similar threads, you don't have to tell them anything until you actually receive the points (which could be weeks/months).

I'm not quite sure though if you have to tell them then either or if you can wait to renewal, but I'm sure someone will be along to confirm :)

[EDIT: And right on cue... :D)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Does the Hibernian proposal form require you to enter in details of you points as they have direct access to the points database which they would have checked when taking out the policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

I think you need only notify the insurance company if you have 4 points or more.

Unless it is explicitly stated in your policy documentation (which it isn't usually) then no you don't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Thanks for the replies, still not quite sure but I guess I will tell Hibernian to be safe. The Motor Proposal Form does have a section detailing that my penalty points are 0, and I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere in the documentation that policy holder must inform Hibernian if penalty points are received..

You have not yet received any points for this offence, you may not even get them and if you do, it may not for the best part of a 6 to 12 months.
    What do you plan on telling them? "I think I might get some points in the future"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Given that your penalty points are added to you licence on the date the notification is sent out to you, technically you have no points at the moment.
    But even if you tell the insurance company, it should not make a difference as they are only interested in 4 or more points, as mentioned by Cionad.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You are obliged to disclose any "material fact" which might affect the assessment of the risk. Unfortunately this would fall under that category.

The fact that it's 4 points or less, and the points are not yet on your license are irrelevant.

It may or may not affect your cover or premium, but you are still obliged to disclose it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

No you're not. He does not have any penalty points on his license. FACT.
    It's simple black and white.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ianbrennan2000

As others have said you do not yet have any points.
    I got caught speeding last year in march and didn't get my points till October.
    You can let them know when you get the points by which point they cannot charge you any more.

2 points shouldn't affect your insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Muzzy

They will make a difference to yer premium, you can add 10% to your premium next year.

Your do not have peno points on yer licence, you have been notified that they are on the way, they are not on the licence yet so you can ignore them for now as you may contest them and they may be overturned etc.

Hibernian have your Drivers Licence Number, as soon as the points go on your licence they will now about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

thanx for all the replies, decided not to inform Hibernian until I receive the points some time in the future. Muzzy is that definite that the premium goes up 10% on renewal when you have 2 points? everyone else seems to be sayin dat 2 points doesn't affect your premium..

jAH

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Muzzy

jArgHA wrote:
    thanx for all the replies, decided not to inform Hibernian until I receive the points some time in the future. Muzzy is that definite that the premium goes up 10% on renewal when you have 2 points? everyone else seems to be sayin dat 2 points doesn't affect your premium..

jAH

I work for the company, yes that is definite, 20% discount for 0 points, 10% for 2 or less points.

You won't feel it though, you will earn a 1 yrs No Claims Bonus of 10% at renewal and that will cancel out 10% for the 2 points.

****Edit

When the points do come onto your licence, you should call, even though it'll be mid-term on your policy you should notify them, you will not be charged, it will be noted for renewal.

In the long run, it COULD effect any claims that you may make in the year if any.

Advertisement