Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vampire 198

Options
  • 09-07-2007 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

I hope someone likes this pic.

EX Irish Air Corps Instructional Airframe DH Vampire 198, In Collins Barracks Dublin.

Lovely piece of well preserved Irish Air Corps History.

vamp.jpg

Taken on Saturday 07/07/07.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I was in Collins barracks a couple of weeks back for the first time. Impressive display of items. That Vampire looked like it was an inflatable plane or a toy I thought :D

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

It looks that way because most of its frame is timber with a canvas outer skin stretched over it, a bit like a drum...lovely aircraft though!

im000545gq2.jpg

Just remembered i took this pic when i was there sometime in april -
    bit blurred, because they werent big on the pics being taken at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭AircraftTechie

they werent big on the pics being taken at the time

They are not big on Pictures anytime due to Copyright, but if you ask nicely you might get away with it either way thats the same story in nearly every Museum, they do crack down on Photography especially the "Flash" kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

They are not big on Pictures anytime due to Copyright, but if you ask nicely you might get away with it either way thats the same story in nearly every Museum, they do crack down on Photography especially the "Flash" kind.

Maybe in every "Irish" museum :rolleyes:

Went to Scotland recently to visit their National Museum of Flight based on the East Fortune Airport. Notice on the door says something like:

Visitors are more than welcome to take as many photographs as they wish. If you'd like to take some photos for commercial purposes, please, talk to our staff first.

As do many museums in the UK or over the channel. Remember Normandy, no problems whatsoever. In many cases staff encourages you to get even closer than you'd thought, if they see your interest in some particular thing.

Staff in Flying Boat Museum in Foynes heve no issues with cameras either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

FiSe wrote:
    Maybe in every "Irish" museum :rolleyes:

Went to Scotland recently to visit their National Museum of Flight based on the East Fortune Airport. Notice on the door says something like:

Visitors are more than welcome to take as many photographs as they wish. If you'd like to take some photos for commercial purposes, please, talk to our staff first.

As do many museums in the UK or over the channel. Remember Normandy, no problems whatsoever. In many cases staff encourages you to get even closer than you'd thought, if they see your interest in some particular thing.

Staff in Flying Boat Museum in Foynes heve no issues with cameras either.

Lots of military, aviation museums have no problem with taking photos but some do.
    I remember Fort George outside Inverness allowed cameras but not camcorders. I think it was something to do with fact that it was still an oeprational military base.

I got warning by museum guard in Military Museum in Vienna about taking photos. I was meant to have a badge that costed a few euro to enble me to take photos.
    It is actually a very good museum with loads of WWII stuff like an 88mm, FG42 etc.
    They also have loads of old massive WWI field artillery peices and information on Austrias mountain frontline with Italy.
    One of the more unusual things they have is the uniform of Archiduke Ferdinand and the car in which he was shot in Sarajevo.
    Sadly the tanks outside are only viewable in summer.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Arsenal in Vienna. Worth visiting. Both Vienna and this museum. There's even free entrance every Thursday as is in every state owned museum and gallery, if I remember corectly...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

FiSe wrote:
    Arsenal in Vienna. Worth visiting. Both Vienna and this museum. There's even free entrance every Thursday as is in every state owned museum and gallery, if I remember corectly...

Yeah Vienna is cool with lots to see.
    But I thought the Sacre Torte desert was overhyped.
    Give me a magnum or cornetto anyday.

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement