Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Usual question, recommend a bike?

• 09-07-2007 3:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Well, i'd like to swap 4 wheels for two. I am in no hurry as i don't really have the money at the moment and will only be doing my theory test in a few weeks. But i'd like to have an idea of what i will be buying so i can the look into things like insurance.

So, off hand i was thinking of a dragstar 250. But i only know this bike by reputation. I have no clue about bikes in general.

Some info about me.. I'm 6'4'', a good 20st so i think i would need something relatively large. I think i'd look quite strange sitting a small bike:)

So yeah, throw me your suggestions, anything at all!

And just a quick question on insurance, how much do ya think a 250cc will cost? I'm currently with Quinn on my car insurance and have built up a few years NCB, although i realise this means very little when it comes to bikes. :(

Anyway, any info would be appreciated.

Cheers.

edit - while i'm hear, anyone know of any kind of bike maintainence courses?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Look into the restricted 600s to better suit your build.

Yamaha Fazer 600,
    Suzuki Bandit 600,
    Suzuki Sv650

They would be the popular street style bikes. Or sport touring style. I don't know the cruisers myself but I'm sure others here do.

You could drive the Dragstar 650. Its learner legal with relatively cheap insurance. Its not a small bike, have one myself. Its pretty long and wide. I'm 6'2 and 18 stone and I dont dwarf the bike so you should be ok. It aint the fastest thing on the road being a cruiser but it's quick enough for most situations. I've had mine for four years now and I've never had a single thing go wrong with it, extremely reliable bike. There's a boatload of accessories available from Yamaha to customise it if you want. I think they cost about €8500 new these days but there are loads of used ones around.
    Here's a pic of mine:

my wheels.JPG

Advertisement