Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another Bike Test Thread!

• 09-07-2007 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I have my "A" bike test coming up in a few weeks. What are the normal pitfalls? What is the most common cause of failing?

What I got so far that I'll need to know and do:
      Know your Rules of the road and road signs for the short theory test
      Be able to push/walk with your bike
      Be able to point out items on the bike, such as brake fluid, oil etc
      Drive the bike at walking pace
      Be able to perform a U turn without putting your foot down
      Apply the 3 golden rules: Communication (with other road users), Observation (mirrors, signal, lifesaver, manouver), Postion (on the road).

What else.....?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

I'd advise a pre-test the day before.

The instructor will walk you through all the questions that come up on the test and where people fail.

I'd highly recommend Dave Lyons if you're looking for an instructor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Turns are all important as you can imagine. Follow, OSM PSL as much as you can. Observation-Signal-Manoeuvre and Position-Speed-Look.

Also Giving parked vehicles and cyclists the required safe distance when passing. So car can open door and cyclist can fall over and you won't have to take any emergency avoiding action.

Also if you can, do a pre-test within the same week or as close to your test date and time as you can. You won't regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

colm_c wrote:
    I'd advise a pre-test the day before.

The instructor will walk you through all the questions that come up on the test and where people fail.

I'd highly recommend Dave Lyons if you're looking for an instructor.
    Agree with all that, including giving Dave a call. He'll see you right in one pretest and will tell you that's enough. He's not a scammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

I also suggest its no harm doing a pretest.

Arrive early.
    Also have your tax displayed on the bike.
    Wear the proper gear incl Hivis vest, makes a good impression.
    Give the bike a good clean before the test
    Good luck with the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭famagusta

just wondering, where in dublin is considered to be the best place to do the test? what kind of waiting list is there?

• Advertisement

Waited 6 months for Tallaght test centre.

I'm not too sure on the separation of car and bike but this link might help you judge, http://www.drivingtest.ie/passrates.html.

Tallaght shows a 50% pass rate and sure enough I had to do it twice to get it. I'm sure it's not just so they get double the money.

9 weeks to get my Test in Raheny.

Passed it first time round (only been biking 3 months at that stage).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Dorsanty wrote:
    Tallaght shows a 50% pass rate and sure enough I had to do it twice to get it. I'm sure it's not just so they get double the money.

Pass rate for bikes is much higher than cars - about 90%

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Thanks for the replies:

What did you fail on Dorsanty? I'm looking for the common areas of failure.

Unfortunately I using another motorbike for the A test because I only have a 125cc. I won't get this other bike until about 30 minutes before the test in order to get comfortable with biteing point, brakes, handling etc. I've had one 2 hour pretest so far and, closer to test, intend on another 2 hour pre test but they're both on my own bike.

My fail on first attempt was due to my technique in turns. As in I had none. So I clocked up too many grade 2's. Think marks were in observation turning left/right. 6 in all and it's game over. (I wasn't very good back then)

I had only done one lesson prior to the test and was still trying to put all I had been taught into practice when I did my test. Did the lesson with ISM and he had me doing about 4 lifesavers in a turn. So when I did the test it wasn't 100% natural and I ended up getting stressed and making mistakes. Having said that the ISM guy did improve my braking and numerous other areas. Just not turns which I believe he made too complicated.

When I passed I did a pre-test with Aaron rider training and they are great. Big thumbs up for them. Even called me after my test to see how I got on. Will be doing my Aon skills assessment with them as soon as I get the time.

So if you want to pass first time make sure your turns are up to scratch make sure you do proper lifesavers (half second glances don't count). I see you have lessons done and booked which is good. Good luck on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

Get some rider training and you will be fine. It is a formula to pass the test. They expect you to drive a certain way. I was driving for years before i went for the test (fairly recently) and passed. I had done rider training courses and the like but they teach you to drive in a realistic way. I had to go and get training to learn how to drive for the test. Since then i had to get training again to make sure i stop driving the test way and back the safe way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Unfortunately I failed. Lack of observation of hazards (mainly parked cars) and lack of progression at traffic lights. The tester didn't like my right turns much either. Ah well. It's all fixable and I'll do it again and will be confident that it'll be ok next time.

You're right, it's all about driving safe and not driving the test, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for all your feedback on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

I failed my 1st cage test and it was the best thing that could have happened to me, made me a lot more relaxed for bith my next cage test and bike 1

If you cant wait for the next test, you may want to go with an AON assesment (as long as you are with them), its a 6 hour course and you really can learn a lot, as was said David Lyons is great, really taught me alot, got me thru the test and the assessment

Hard luck and better luck next time

Hungrycol wrote:
    Unfortunately I failed. Lack of observation of hazards (mainly parked cars) and lack of progression at traffic lights. The tester didn't like my right turns much either. Ah well. It's all fixable and I'll do it again and will be confident that it'll be ok next time.

You're right, it's all about driving safe and not driving the test, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for all your feedback on here.

Apply for your test in Raheny, you should get your test day in 6-8 weeks.

Advertisement