Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your opinion on irish hip hop?

• 09-07-2007 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hey whats up

i recently joined to promote my show this friday at the crawdaddy (see the link up thread) im just curious what your guys opinions are of irish hip hop?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭Evzer

Don't want to come across too backpackery here but I listen to most of the irish stuff at least once and I honestly think its gone backwards..It was better back in the day imo.Scary eire had a lot of classic stuff and Mjex were better when they were creative controle imo, Exile eye had a class album out,homebrew were a really excellent group and i think relevance was a really excellent emcee not just decent for an irish one. Might be going off on a bit of a rant here but i basically think it was of a higher standard back in the late 90's early\noughties. Nowadays a lot of it seems very throwaway and theres seemingly more rappers then fans (this is a fairly hypocritical argument on my part btw as ive too made fairly amateurish tunes for amusement but yeah yknow what im saying anyway haha)

Nowadays I Like maverick sabre, rob kelly,Some nucentz and The infomatics, Think jee4ce is fairly quality aswell but i havent heard much from him Mjex are obviously talented but im not really into them but besides them lads i wouldnt listen to a lot of it more then the once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

saw majestic j and the expert last night supporting Buck65 and thought they were good bought the album afterwards and that sounds good 2.

Thought Buck was excellent really stripped down and natural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Ive listened to a decent amount of Irish Hip Hop, and it can be a bit hit & miss to be honest. MJEX, Collie, Redzer & Rob Kelly's albums are all worth a listen. The Homemade Bombs mixtape has some nice tracks, but a lot or sh1t on it too. Nu-centz, urban intelligence, man & the machine & the gudmen all have some nice tracks.

Some Irish hip hop can sound a bit gimmicky, and production values can be fairly weak. Heard a few guys who seem to be trying to sound like american gangsta's a bit too much (ie using american slang, rather than Irish). They generally come across as pretty sad really, but fair play to any of them doing it really, the scene needs people trying to make good music in order for it to gain recognition and improve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mickla-T

Ive listened to all those acts over the last 4 years and the only ones worth a mention are,

The Elements
    Maverick
    Mjex
    Infomatics

REALLY cant hack the rest especially kelly, its all the usual hiphop bull**** with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭vespahead

i listen to alot of old school gangster rap aswell as all the new stuff,
    but the only rapper that really doesnt sound gimmicky and wannabe is
    the man redzer he sounds raw in a good way he uses irish slang instead of american,and he has the only album of any genre of music were i dont dislike a song on it every track is golden

• Advertisement

Its a waste of space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Its a waste of space.

Thats a stunning analysis right there. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Is it me or is every Irish MC who doesn't rap with a thick paddy accent condemned as American?

I'm a middle class Corkonian who doesn't have a thick accent(a bit of slang, little more), am I just some yank imposter or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Jimbo808

what about J and the Messiah?

I actually havn't listened to any of their stuff but they seem to have critical praise?

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mickla-T

Jimbo808 wrote:
    what about J and the Messiah?

I actually havn't listened to any of their stuff but they seem to have critical praise?

J

Yeah Messiah J and the Expert are good, actual skill ya know. None of this "have to sell coke so me kids dont starve" bull**** ,when ya dont even have a bird and live in Dalkey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

MJEX are quality, prefered their earlier stuff too.
    Scary éire are pioneers of the game, album was way ahead of its time imo.
    Collie's pretty good.
    Lung Donors from Cork / Kerry / Clare are absolute quality.

Check out their myspace: http://www.myspace.com/thelungdonors

Also, check out http://www.myspace.com/corklongy

Any heads in Cork would seriously wanna check these lads out... Also, support their gigs! I'm sick of poor turnouts at cork gigs, yet people still say there's no good hip hop to see in cork! There's plenty hip hop lately in cork!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Orizio wrote:
    Is it me or is every Irish MC who doesn't rap with a thick paddy accent condemned as American?

I'm a middle class Corkonian who doesn't have a thick accent(a bit of slang, little more), am I just some yank imposter or what?

For whatever reason hip hop is the least acceptable genre in which to alter your voice. Take Bono for example, when singing he could pretty easily pass as an American artist on some songs, doesnt get stick though. But some of the put on accents are ridicilous.

clio_16v wrote:
    MJEX are quality, prefered their earlier stuff too.
    Scary éire are pioneers of the game, album was way ahead of its time imo.
    Collie's pretty good.
    Lung Donors from Cork / Kerry / Clare are absolute quality.

Check out their myspace: http://www.myspace.com/thelungdonors

Also, check out http://www.myspace.com/corklongy

Any heads in Cork would seriously wanna check these lads out... Also, support their gigs! I'm sick of poor turnouts at cork gigs, yet people still say there's no good hip hop to see in cork! There's plenty hip hop lately in cork!

where are these nights,slainte mostly is it?

Evzer wrote:
    where are these nights,slainte mostly is it?

I run a gig in Slainte alright. The Kerrynini lads run gigs in Liquid Lounge above Clancy's. We've got the 2007 Polish IDA djing champion playing next month. There's always gigs on here and there. I'll post the final details of the next gig up here so keep an eye out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

those gigs look class.

Anyway I like GMC, Bony, Collie, Nu-Centz, Dutch Gold Kid and Mickey Gatch, to name a few.

Check ouy elementary on Friday so sure if you're around Corkman....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

me and my mate do hip hop for a laugh.

i do the production and some of the rapping and he does the rest...

i usuually play hard rock and metal so the is just a bit of fun for us.

www.myspace.com/404folife

let me know what ya think lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Surprised nobodies mentioned Captain Moonlight yet, he's got alot of clever rhymes.Dirty ***** was a great tune
    Scary Eire and Exile eye way ahead of their time alright, The Scary Era has to be the blueprint for Irish Hip-Hop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭klaus flouride

The irish tend to generate alot of their humour by taking the p1ss out of themselves - this is at odds with the American rap scene, where alot of it seems to be about bravado and pumping up your ego. Of coure you're going to find talented irish rappers and hip hop musicians/mixers, music is international after all (thats why you have french and english rappers) but some of the irish rap i've heard involves som1 from mullingar trying to sound tough and he ends up sounding like a G.A.A. commentator.

I'm not to sure the irish accent suits hip hop - its coarse and slightly more aggressive sounding rather than the laid back,calm and smooth accents of the Americans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Dipsy

Irish hip hop is on the rise! the only ones worth talking about are Ri-Ra and the phoenix

www.myspace.com/thephoenixeire

• Advertisement

Will you ever calm down with this phoenix lad. christ.

Evzer wrote:
    Will you ever calm down with this phoenix lad. christ.

So you’re aware of him then. Nice to know he is getting recognition.
    There is room for everybody! Allah

ive only heard of him coz of you dropping his name all over the place constantly when no-one else seems to have a clue who he his and to be honest those tunes are nothing special at all..

Evzer wrote:
    ive only heard of him coz of you dropping his name all over the place constantly when no-one else seems to have a clue who he his and to be honest those tunes are nothing special at all..

Dropped where???????

Where is the love?

And much respect man as we are all entitled to our own opinion.

You can have yours too
    www.myspace.com/thephoenixeire
    www.myspace.com/charliedcharlene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I'm Irish and I do electronic music, mostly chill-out and electronic, but some hip-hop style stuff, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeLT9jksFgA

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

i came across a rapper from dublin his name is siyo only heard a few tracks but it sounds quailty and he can rap real good.. i think a few of his videos are on youtube look them up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Rob Kelly, Richie Filth, Maverick Sabre, Class A'z, MJEX, Tuki, Flip, Kormac and Mek, all you need to know.

Rest of average stuf to be honest.

Shout out to Nugget though, gets better every time he drops something, last mixtape was nice!

South Mouths are nice too (Butcher Boy and Intox).

Mickey Gatch would give ANYBODY a good go in a battle, like, not just Ireland and the UK, ANYBODY, Also, Rob Kelly has merked Rhyme Fest and a few others already, but doesn't battle anymore as he reckons all the pre-written ****e is a load of balls.

Avoid the following:

Shakey, MC Dubh, Assassin, Dizzy D and a few others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

Seaneh wrote: »
    Rob Kelly, Richie Filth, Maverick Sabre, Class A'z, MJEX, Tuki, Flip, Kormac and Mek, all you need to know.

Rest of average stuf to be honest.

Shout out to Nugget though, gets better every time he drops something, last mixtape was nice!

South Mouths are nice too (Butcher Boy and Intox).

Mickey Gatch would give ANYBODY a good go in a battle, like, not just Ireland and the UK, ANYBODY, Also, Rob Kelly has merked Rhyme Fest and a few others already, but doesn't battle anymore as he reckons all the pre-written ****e is a load of balls.

Avoid the following:

Shakey, MC Dubh, Assassin, Dizzy D and a few others.

Wha?? I love Dizzy D:p

Siyo is fairly good aright.

Filthy Rich is really good but aint heard anything from him in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I love Irish hip hop. It's self depreciating. There are funny punchlines. It's much less montonous than the American and UK stuff. There's very little boring gangster thuggery because anybody who raps about that kind of thing gets laughed out of it.

The main problem as I see it is the production is largely awful. A lot of the rappers have absolutely no taste in beats so they rap over utter garbage. I can't rap very well yet so I'm going to make sure my beats are fire. Not like it's hard to find some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Though not as tacky, pretentious, and pseudo-American as say, Polish rap, I find a lot of Irish rap to sound very clichéd and cheesy.

Even if they aren't pretending to be black Americans in their lyrics, a lot of them will flow like Will Smith doing that "Nightmare On My Street" track. That sort of asking and answering a question (tonally) every couple of bars.

Or subject matter about what you did during the day, starting in the morning, or general macho-ism, misogyny, and other hiphop cliches. Putting in some Irish slang, doesn't make it any less naff, and contrived.

Example, off the top of my head:
    "got on de fookin bus, didn't cause a fuss, talkin to de bus driver, he said his name was Russ... hopped off at me mas, but she was round me das, slided down the couch like fookin nivea visage... then i rolled a spliff, (etc etc)"
    ... That kinda s*** makes me want to vomit.

I'm not pointing any fingers, but this is the case for a lot of Irish rap I've heard. I understand that it's hard to do hiphop and be truly unique. It's almost impossible to completely avoid urban/hiphop clichés, but still.

FWIW, I like most of what I've heard from Deep Reasoning, and Shapey Fiend.
    Nice lyric from Shapey Fiend- "My neighbourhood's quiet to be brutally honest. People die on my street because there's a nursing home on it."
    Love that.

Seaneh, thanks for the recommendations. I'll check them out.

Advertisement