Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your opinion on irish hip hop?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Recorded another tune today. I think I'm getting a bit better but have a ways to go yet.

http://soundcloud.com/shapeyfiend/horrorcore-prod-buttaslick

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭GhanGee

so, is Irish rap getting any better ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

irish rap is terrible,although we will be told its brilliant by those who participate.
    but the truth is,the lyricism is awful,verging on embarrassing,the tone is unsuitable to rap and the beat choice is cheap.
    the videos being left in this forum alone by the spammers is not rap either,its not even free styling,its a form of poetry.
    admittedly rap is a form of peotry but ginsberg was not a rapper,he was a poet,theres a difference which these guys fail to see.

just wondering who the best artist would be. That's surprising, I thought all English speaking countries are closer to the US and are somehow influenced. So you're saying there's no widely recognized Irish hiphop artist (not talking about Erik Schrody) currently living and producing in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The best known internationally is probably Rob Kelly.

http://soundcloud.com/robkellypromo

There's loads of others that are relatively well known in Ireland. Depends on what you're into. The Rubberbandits, The Infomatics and Messiah J & The Expert are the most commonly blogged about or featured in newspapers.

What Hugh Cream is saying is true of a lot of it. But the stuff he's talking about is mostly hobbyist stuff done by young fellas. If you go on English or US messageboards you're going to get flooded with music from guys rapping into PC world microphones as well.

I think some of the major Irish artists have been guilty of really poor beat choices (i.e. crap ripped off soundclick) in the past but that's getting less common these days.

• Advertisement

good to know there is something, well I live here for almost 5 yrs and never heard about a local hiphop culture or any movement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Cullo

not sleeping, just I haven't seen any proof what would make me believe there's anything close to HH culture in Ireland. I don't see it on TV or radio, nor on the streets. So who are the artist what make their money by rapping, producing and doing concerts?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Camac Hibs

Best Irish hip hop record I have heard is Kill or Create by the Infomatics. Ive heard lots of decent tracks here and there but as that works as an album.

Both videos are typical of what irish lyricists think rap music is.
    Rap is music,music needs structure and meaning,and above all verses.
    Rhyming word upon word without any structure is not music,plus the beat is shyt,fruity loops for beginners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Camac Hibs

daft vid but the track is there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Parrish_Crooks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUA9iFgO6rI

Classic Irish Hip-hop.

On a serious note though, this isn't bad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2CRwzkyMjY

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ItsNugget

GhanGee wrote: »
    not sleeping, just I haven't seen any proof what would make me believe there's anything close to HH culture in Ireland. I don't see it on TV or radio, nor on the streets. So who are the artist what make their money by rapping, producing and doing concerts?
    Who says to be a culture they have to be making money off it?

rappers play big role in holding it all together, although there are other important elements (as we all know) the culture itself comes from the music and rappers are half of the music. If they want to do it the best way sooner or later they have to do it for living and money come with it. You don't have to, when you're 15 living with your mom. It's all about talent and experience, if you do it long you have investments so you would be stupid to do it for free (if you're worth it). What did I...? Alright, do you think there would be a culture (not secret society of 20) if rappers do music for free?

btw, thanks everyone for the links I found some interesting stuff on the web.

there is no urban/rap culture in ireland,wearing an ecko hoody does not a culture make.

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    there is no urban/rap culture in ireland,wearing an ecko hoody does not a culture make.

I have to agree. There's no hiphop influence in the society whatsoever, there're some solo riders maybe but I don't simply see a sight of it in day to day life. Only when the culture is strong you can see it from everywhere because its members are people around.

By hiphop influence do you mean wearing the clothes? Cos i wouldnt really care about what someone wore to be honest. Im more hiphop than some eejit in high tops and baggy jeans that has an ipod of downloaded lil wayne mixtapes. Mainly because i own hundreds of hiphop records, hundreds of hiphop cds and have been to hundreds of hiphop gigs both big and small.

Theres a lot of people in dublin into hiphop. Go to a decent hiphop gig and you'll see that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I see some influence, down town late nights I seem the pimps selling off the bitches....

*does pimp twirl with pimp cane*

ItsNugget wrote: »
    By hiphop influence do you mean wearing the clothes? Cos i wouldnt really care about what someone wore to be honest. Im more hiphop than some eejit in high tops and baggy jeans that has an ipod of downloaded lil wayne mixtapes. Mainly because i own hundreds of hiphop records, hundreds of hiphop cds and have been to hundreds of hiphop gigs both big and small.

Theres a lot of people in dublin into hiphop. Go to a decent hiphop gig and you'll see that

Clothing is also part of it but not only, there's much more into it. Lots of people could be a fan base but to have a culture you need the whole crowd, same as you need MCs and DJs making money or people wearing baggy jeans. Neither I wear it anymore, or not so often. But you want to distinguish one from another. So we talk, think, wear and do things similar way, in most cases. However, when you meet me on the street I am perfectly 'normal' guy.

ItsNugget wrote: »

hes talking about culture though,completely different to going to a gig.
    no one goes to a gig and says yes this is irish hip hop culture,because we havnt got one,weve no hip hop identity to differentiate us from guys in new york.
    anything we do is someone elses culture,we just support it.

• Advertisement

So hiphop gigs arent part of hiphop culture? Oh right so tell me what is oh wise one who doesnt know what freestyle or accapella means? FUBU tops and backwards caps.

you know what the definition of culture is dont you,and what people mean when they talk about rap culture?

btw i wasnt aware of acapella,freestyling im well aware of.

You calim to be a music fan and dont know the word accapella means? What are you like 13?

so basically you dont know what the definition of the word culture is,you dont realize your describing someone elses culture,you dont realize a culture has to be specific to an individual,or in this case,a country.
    your aware of all that?

and like,im 13 like,where you from,carrigstown?

No it doesnt. Football culture is worldwide.As is 20th century popular culture, movie culture etc
    Cultures dont have to be specific to anywhere,
    "the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively"

Your not very good at trolling really. Your just wrong everytime.

dont be a moron,culture is specific,comparing hip hop culture to movies and football is making you look dumb.
    and btw we aint battling here,we grown men having a convo,the whole "im better than you" thing is childish.

Better than you thing? So basically your criticising your own last post.

Sure a genre of music is completely different from any other form of entertainment like movies or sport just because your having an arguement about that specific thing. Lol no matter how many facts you get hit with ya just dont give up. Ya just shy away from them and post more bull****.
    Anyway im off to bed i've done enough troll feeding for tonight. Go argue with people on youtube or something. It'll make ya feel better about how badly you get treated in work or whateber it is that makes you this lonely.

you seriously dont get the cultural thing,i mean its in the word,its self explanatory.
    but hey if it makes ye feel better to skirt the issue and if telling yourself your right gets you through the night and helps you have sweet dreams go head,who am i to deprive ye.

lol ok off to bed now,sweet dreams gangsta.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

You go to London Don't Flop gigs half the people are dressed like NY wiggers, or LA hipsters. At the Dublin gigs people just dress like Dublin people. Seems more authentic to me. Hip hop culture is meant to be about expressing your own local identity. That's why the dress sense of Harlem rappers is a bit more showy and exaggerated than the what they do in, say, Brooklyn even thought they're pretty close together. The more you try to ape someone elses hip hop culture the less hip hop culture you have.

That oversize stuff is gone anyway. Don't think anybody should be wearing that in the last 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Cullo

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    Both videos are typical of what irish lyricists think rap music is.
    Rap is music,music needs structure and meaning,and above all verses.
    Rhyming word upon word without any structureis not music,plus the beat is shyt,fruity loops for beginners.

1st off.....ur sister.

2nd lol no structure....dude go back to school.....

you dont know what accapellas are, you dont know the difference between writen and freestyle battles, and you dont know what structure in a verse means...
    Think its fairly obvious you dont know what ur talkin about

my 9yr old daughter has more cop on than you.....FACT

Advertisement