Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your opinion on irish hip hop?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I don't think money should have anything to do with it. I'd say they've always had a better standard of stand-up comedy in New York than the UK, despite the fact there are far less comedy venues, and most don't pay their standups to play shows at all.

Ireland is tiny so it's hard for musicians of any sort (nevermind just hip hop musicians) to make a penny. Being from Clare I know a ton of highly trained music college graduates, who grew up in families where everybodys playing trad music the whole time, and most of them will make **** all money off it. 50euro an evening is what you're looking at, and gigs are few and far between cos the pubs are all doing **** nowadays and there are too many musicians.

Fact is most home grown music you have to search out. It's up to the audience to make some of the effort. Irish radio will never play Irish artists during the day. They've never done it. They'll just fill out their Irish quota with U2, Van Morrison and The Script.

Whatever music you're into in this country wether it's trad, metal, indie or hip hop you have to search it out yourself and you'll find it. Like in Clare there's a ****ing Speedcore/Breakcore scene for feck sake. People fly in from all over the UK to play gigs to like 50 or 60 bizarre metaler looking people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

Cullo wrote: »
    1st off.....ur sister.

2nd lol no structure....dude go back to school.....

you dont know what accapellas are, you dont know the difference between writen and freestyle battles, and you dont know what structure in a verse means...
    Think its fairly obvious you dont know what ur talkin about

my 9yr old daughter has more cop on than you.....FACT
    is this all youse have to fall back on,is everyone gonna use the fact that i wasnt aware of acapella battles as a stick to beat me with,is acapella that main stream that everyone should be aware of it?
    i dont think so.

as for the rest,the videos you left were awful,i know what i heard and what i heard was you using simple rhymes such as bad with mad and simple with pimple,not those specifically but you get me.

your attempt at rhyme structure is non existent,you obviously dont know how to do it,as i said rhyming words on top of words is not rap music.

learn how to structure a song,remember a verse or two will help,and read a dictionary to broaden your word play.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭GhanGee

same thing few years back in my country, people were trying, the community was much smaller, quality of the music was poor (especially in 90's when it all began), it all changed around 2000. Now there are hundreds of small groups throughout the country, about 15 are really good, they jumped 2 levels in last decade. And names of the best ones are recognized by common people. For your info, the country is small as Ireland by its size and population, with worse fin. situation. However the scene is reasonably big, people do the best they can within their budget as it all cost some and no one gives turntables, a sampler or computer for free. Where there's a will there's a way, if you have only couple of good artists in this style it means Ireland has very few people who're even trying to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Hugh/Cullo, I'm sure you two can debate without insults, so please do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Cullo

editing is a feck on this site! read below!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Rubberbandits ftw.

Apolagise Orizio,

Hugh cream....if i gave u an apple you would tell me its an orange. The point I made about accapella is a very valid one to the piont that if you dont know what something as simple as accapella is......which is just a discription of something vocal in a solo way....then I dont think you would know what to structure a verse or a full track actually means.

I mean even to say something as stupid as...
    "is acapella that main stream that everyone should be aware of it?"

again shows you dont know what your talking about. Yes.....Accapella has nothing to do with mainstream or hiphop you sausage....its just a term musicians or anybody for that matter use to descibe something vocal in a solo way. so if you dont even know that, how in gods name would you know what to structure a verse is.

To argue any more with someone who doesnt know what there talking about is pointless..

gud day to u sir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

does rubber bandits count or are they considered to be pisstakers? I love it! :) Seen Messiah J a few times - i think musically its good - lyrically I find it to be an imitation rather than a distinct voice, but it could totally just be prejeudice I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭GodlessInfidel

the dublin accent just does not suit hip-hop IMO, the Cork accent is alot better when it comes to rap. I'm a dub myself, its jus one of those things like when u hear a German rappin..terrible!!

Apolagise Orizio,

Hugh cream....if i gave u an apple you would tell me its an orange. The point I made about accapella is a very valid one to the piont that if you dont know what something as simple as accapella is......which is just a discription of something vocal in a solo way....then I dont think you would know what to structure a verse or a full track actually means.

I mean even to say something as stupid as...
    "is acapella that main stream that everyone should be aware of it?"

again shows you dont know what your talking about. Yes.....Accapella has nothing to do with mainstream or hiphop you sausage....its just a term musicians or anybody for that matter use to descibe something vocal in a solo way. so if you dont even know that, how in gods name would you know what to structure a verse is.

To argue any more with someone who doesnt know what there talking about is pointless..

gud day to u sir
    Acapella is music without instruments,thats obvious,it was mentioned to me in here that a certain video was acapella battling rather than freestyling,id never heard the term acapella battling.
    dont start acting like i went and asked was biggie still alive,its not that obvious that theres a difference,when talking about battling.

why are you even arguing?
    ive told you your shyt at rapping and making beats,is your head that far up your arse that you actually though you were good,and what ive said has knocked you side ways.

and why edit your post,was this bothering you that much that you needed to come back and get some shyt of your chest?

• Advertisement

the dublin accent just does not suit hip-hop IMO, the Cork accent is alot better when it comes to rap. I'm a dub myself, its jus one of those things like when u hear a German rappin..terrible!!
    thank you,plus maybe its just me but the dub accents seem amped up to full volume.
    its like listening to fair city,posh actors versions of the dublin accent.

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    Acapella is music without instruments,thats obvious,it was mentioned to me in here that a certain video was acapella battling rather than freestyling,id never heard the term acapella battling.
    dont start acting like i went and asked was biggie still alive,its not that obvious that theres a difference,when talking about battling.

why are you even arguing?
    ive told you your shyt at rapping and making beats,is your head that far up your arse that you actually though you were good,and what ive said has knocked you side ways.

and why edit your post,was this bothering you that much that you needed to come back and get some shyt of your chest?

"To argue any more with someone who doesnt know what there talking about is pointless.."

"To argue any more with someone who doesnt know what there talking about is pointless.."
    That's your problem,your arguing,I'm not.
    People are only driven to argue through anger,people only get angry when being told someting they don't want to hear.
    If you were actually any good you would laugh this off,instead your sitting there simmering,trying to get the last word in.
    Give it up before you start to embarrass your kid.

so, what do you know about German rapping ? Name any group you know.

once you're good you can rap in any language, accent, or dialect to get at least local if not international respect.

GhanGee wrote: »
    so, what do you know about German rapping ? Name any group you know.

Curse aka Michael S. Kurth,

i'm just stating an opinion not fabricating lies, what would be the point of that?

i have and continue to support irish an dublin rap, just not mad about the dublin accent when it comes to rapping is all. sorry if you take offence to that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

not sleeping, just I haven't seen any proof what would make me believe there's anything close to HH culture in Ireland. I don't see it on TV or radio, nor on the streets. So who are the artist what make their money by rapping, producing and doing concerts?

MJEX played SXSW a few years and got co-signed by a lot of acts.

Kelly has had a spread in XXL, gets shout outs from most of the DJ's on BBC Radio 1 and 1xtra, has had tracks played on HOT97, sells out shows everytime he plays in the states. Has hook ups with people like Reef The Lost Cauze, Slaine from La Coka Nostra, Frankie Krutches, Memphis Bleek, Green Lantern, Puggie P etc.

the infomatics are doing lots of shows, had what was the bets album from any irish act in the last 18 months, from any genre, beat all of the media's darlings in that sony competition last year.

DJ Flip, Kormac and tuki are all hiphop DJ's who play all over europe.
    Flip is an ITF world scratching champ and has hook ups with One Be Lo, Atmosphere, Foreign Legion, iCon The Mic King, C2C Crew (5 time DMC team champs), Beat torrent (half of C2C crew and both former DMC world champs), The Waxolutionists ( from Vienna, probably the most active DJ Crew in central Europe), Scratch Bastid.
    Kormac hosts one of the best attended and loved residencies in Dublin and tours all over europe with his big bang doing their bakesale thing.

There is def a HH culture in Ireland, you just aren't looking for it.

German rap sounds good....use to have german mtv and not the uk one and had loads on it....that chap with the mask is good and a few others i heard....german reggae is huge too...SEEED, gentelman (tho he uses a made kinda weird half jamican accent) point is....when i heard it, i thought it was good straight off....the accent or the fact i couldnt understand alot off it didnt put me off....same with alot of french hiphop...**** all still flows nice and the music bangs so why wouldn i like it......or Ozi Balta that middle aged australian guy...chap is also tight...the fact he prob near 40 and has a austalian accent doesnt bother me.....

does this guys age or accent put u off the track?....it shouldn

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Also I forgot,

Irish producer and DJ called Danny Diggs one half of a duo signed to HiPNOTT Records called Jermiside & Danny Diggs who are mad nice. Danny is from Galway but living in Vancouver BC making a good living.

[/QUOTE]

Not at all i like that track. An i love my french hip-hop especially MC Solar. Just not about mad about the German or Dub accent when it comes to Rapping. But flow is just one part that contributes to a good MC or to a good song, as well as lyrics, beats, topics etc etc.

Fair enough you like the German accent over a beat, but it would be a pretty boring world if we all shared the same opinions wouldn't it?

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    MJEX played SXSW a few years and got co-signed by a lot of acts.

Kelly has had a spread in XXL, gets shout outs from most of the DJ's on BBC Radio 1 and 1xtra, has had tracks played on HOT97, sells out shows everytime he plays in the states. Has hook ups with people like Reef The Lost Cauze, Slaine from La Coka Nostra, Frankie Krutches, Memphis Bleek, Green Lantern, Puggie P etc.

the infomatics are doing lots of shows, had what was the bets album from any irish act in the last 18 months, from any genre, beat all of the media's darlings in that sony competition last year.

DJ Flip, Kormac and tuki are all hiphop DJ's who play all over europe.
    Flip is an ITF world scratching champ and has hook ups with One Be Lo, Atmosphere, Foreign Legion, iCon The Mic King, C2C Crew (5 time DMC team champs), Beat torrent (half of C2C crew and both former DMC world champs), The Waxolutionists ( from Vienna, probably the most active DJ Crew in central Europe), Scratch Bastid.
    Kormac hosts one of the best attended and loved residencies in Dublin and tours all over europe with his big bang doing their bakesale thing.

There is def a HH culture in Ireland, you just aren't looking for it.

You're probably right, that's why I asked. I was not really looking because I did not see any sign of HH culture anyhere, so thought that the only thing I find here will be mainstream (mostly US or UK). I went to a snoopdogg+pDiddy gig few years back and saw regular people there. I totally agree it is not about wearing hoodies and baggy jeans it doesn't say what the culture is like. However, I'd expect freestyle battles, graffiti sessions, TV and radio promoting local HH production, maybe some people doing human beatbox, DJs doing their crazy stuff, etc. Until now I saw nothing, maybe I just did not dig deep enough.

Anyways, I noted the names you and other people here mentioned so will check that on the web. Cheers.

Curse aka Michael S. Kurth,

i'm just stating an opinion not fabricating lies, what would be the point of that?

i have and continue to support irish an dublin rap, just not mad about the dublin accent when it comes to rapping is all. sorry if you take offence to that.

no offense, I don't even understand German altho I have few records and some songs 'sound' good. But I just wouldn't try to categorize ... this language or that accent. You can rap in 'creol' once you're talented and your words are backed up by good DJ/ instrumentals.

But I understand your opinion, few years back I couldn't stand Hungarian hiphop just to listen to it on some Eastern EU compilations. Now I am much more open minded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

However, I'd expect freestyle battles, graffiti sessions, TV and radio promoting local HH production, maybe some people doing human beatbox, DJs doing their crazy stuff, etc. Until now I saw nothing, maybe I just did not dig deep enough.

Anyways, I noted the names you and other people here mentioned so will check that on the web. Cheers.

There are graffiti sessions on in Cork and Dublin every summer with artists flying in from a ton of places abroad. Kings of Concrete being the most notable one. Graf is definitely the most vibrant of the hip hop arts in this country but you won't hear/see much of it on the web for some reason. They had a couple of pages about it in the Irish Independent on Saturday. They've printed pictures and interviewed people a fair bit over the last couple of years as well.

There aren't a lot of beatboxers but there's a guy called Whitenoise who's been at it for years. He goes around performing and teaching workshops all over the place.

There's a DJing competition every year in Galway. I'm not very up on who's involved. Jimmy The Penguin is one that comes to mind. There's a rake of them at the turntablism stuff in that part of the country especially. Plus Flip DJ's everywhere constantly, he doesn't do that much ITF battle type stuff anymore though because there isn't an audience for it for the most part.. that's kind of the case all over the world really it's kind of niche. Moschops and DJ Mek from Scary Eire are pretty badass at it as well.

TV and radio don't really get behind hip hop for the most part. There was a show called The Raw Sessions on RTE last year where each week bands/vocalists/hiphoppers made a track in 12 hours and tried to outdo the other guys. The Infomatics were the only hip hop act in the thing and they beat a load of pretty good bands in the final. Tore the house down with their live act.

Radio is incredibly hard to break into in this country as I said above. That's not a hip hop thing. It's just independent music in general. The only one that gives anybody a chance is Red FM in Cork. GMC recorded tons of jingles/spots for them to play between segments that they played the whole time. He also did a tune about the Cork hurlers that got played on it constantly for weeks.

I should really write up some sort of massive article or wiki summarising everything that's going on. It'd be a bit of a nightmare to put together though because it's such a broad subject.

very.. very nice overview. Thanks for that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Djing comps used to be a lot more popular here a few years back, the likes of the ITF's and DMC's where regular large turnout events. An Irish lad named DJ Flip went on to win the ITF's as well and hasnt stopped touring since. But he needs to stop taking off his shirt :D

The lads that where on the forefront of Irish DJing are sill knocking about. Mayhem and TuKi where some of the best I've ever seen.

As far as radio goes in Irealnd, it's those that pay for the best PR that get the most airplay, the best PR cost the most money, as there is not much money in indy hip hop groups/artists here they cant pay their way to the top. This is a regular thing amongst indie rock bands that get some monetary backing. But there are some radio DJ's on the national stations that will show some love if the sound is right.

So radio is not really an option unless you've got stakola behind you.

The graf sessions that Shapey talks about are excellent, people from all across the globe come along to be involved. The best thing is you can watch these guys work, it's exceptional stuff.

There are also a few nice breakers that crop up at gigs. There was one guy knocking about for years and I seen him on youtube at some major event recently on stage...think it was Paid Dues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Rob Kelly is dope
    extremely slept on

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CraicMusic

If anyone is in doubt about how active the Irish hip hop scene is bookmark Craic Music. It's a blog dedicated to Irish hip hop news/audio/video/downloads

I realise it is shameless self promotion, but surely it's only fair in a topic discussing whether Irish hip hop exists? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ioan

once you're good you can rap in any language, accent, or dialect to get at least local if not international respect.
    is still aveiblee

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KDeath

obviously as hiphop was originally an american form of music there are always going to be derivative elements in any country's splinter scene but i think in the last couple of years irish hiphop has really started to develop its own distinctive sound - the likes of nugget, terawrizt and siyo are good examples, and this is going to help it become more accepted/popular. while you may not hear of it that often we're in the same boat other european scenes were a few years ago, so you only have to look at england, france, etc to see how much potential is there. and we're not like most countries in that you cant pick out hiphop heads in this country just by looking at them; go to any gig and you'll see everyone is just in normal gear. anyways, shameless self-promotion time! check the link for my tunes - i reckon strung out is my crowning achievement to date but there'll be an ep/album on the way, and there's a few battles on www.youtube.com/dfitv; next one is up on the 23rd vs Terawrizt!

http://www.myspace.com/krisdeath

• Advertisement

German rap sounds good....use to have german mtv and not the uk one and had loads on it....that chap with the mask is good and a few others i heard....german reggae is huge too...SEEED, gentelman (tho he uses a made kinda weird half jamican accent) point is....when i heard it, i thought it was good straight off....the accent or the fact i couldnt understand alot off it didnt put me off....same with alot of french hiphop...**** all still flows nice and the music bangs so why wouldn i like it......or Ozi Balta that middle aged australian guy...chap is also tight...the fact he prob near 40 and has a austalian accent doesnt bother me.....

the track is sweet. For sure, you find lots of music you might like altho you don't understand the words. Well, rap is a lot about lyrics but ...check this out (some songs are dated back to 199x)

NTM - That's My People
    Disgrafix - Numero Uno
    dj tomekk - ich lebe für hip hop
    pezet noon - refleksje
    BOSS AC - Hip-Hop
    Kontrafakt - Moji ludia

I also like these guys....

Super BeatBox Saian Supa Crew

Advertisement