Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zuda!

Options
  • 09-07-2007 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭

Congratulations to DC Comics and the launch of their webcomics imprint, Zuda It's about time! Now don't mess it up.

Newsarama article/interview

NY times article

And for balance Lea Harnandez and current girlamatic editor Lisa Jonte. Both bring up the good points that creators should make sure to cover their asses before handing over the rights to any of their works.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Bunch of comic and webcomic pros weigh in on Zuda over at Newsarama. Warren Ellis's comments are hilarious - "If someone can go down to the Zuda office and hang up two signs, one reading DON'T BE EVIL and the other reading DON'T BE STUPID, then it could well turn out to be, at the very least, a big engine for press and activating the online audience."

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Heh, Warren Ellis always brings the funny. On a more serious note, I'm curious about how this plays out, and think that it's somewhat telling that the notable webcomic artists who've commented on it are at best being guarded in their opinions of it.

Still, it'd be awesome if DC proved everyone wrong and managed to establish some sort of wider-reach financial system for webcomics.

At the recent SDCC the zuda team were handing out postcards for people to draw on and post to zuda - Scott Kurtz posted his over at PVP

He also posted in his blog about the image and got some interesting comments about.

from Wizard world chicago more info regarding the Zuda contracts

so has anyone been reading the comics over at Zuda? Not gone on their little viewer thing but impressed with the level of feedback people are giving. Tis not for the faint of heart to submit a comic for consideration but the comments are very constructive or at least the dozen or so I read.

• Advertisement

So Zuda is no more....DC has folded Zuda into its digital publishing plans with Comixology, and, due to a number of reasons, none of the most recent series (any from the last year or so) are making the transition, which means great comics like In Maps and Legands won't be continuing but the good news it seems all the rights of the unfinished series have reverted back to the creators so hopefully they won't disappear.

Can't say I'm surprised they've shut the site down as in the last year or so the monthly competitions had become kinda blah with a couple of great series but alot of filler. When they stopped doing the comps it really was only a matter of time as there wasn't really much else going on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I never got into the habit of reading them, because they had a couple of decent things there (I remember really liking High Moon when it launched, and Bayou was a thing of utter beauty, for example) but the reading software they used was a pain in the arse after a while and the competition aspect seemed to expect a lot more dedication from readers than I was willing to put in.

With every other webcomic I read, I can just load up its webpage and read it - but Zuda never felt that simple. It was a case of going to the Zuda page, then looking for the title and then navigating through the viewer. I get that DC wanted to push Zuda as a brand, but instead they just pushed me away and put me in the bizarre position of only really noticing the webcomics they picked up that were succesful enough to make it to print.

Advertisement