Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas cactus advice

Options
  • 09-07-2007 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

I have one that failed to flower in December, but is in full bloom now.

Bits keep falling off. It's been with me for five years without falling apart.

Is it sick?

How can I propogate the pieces that fall off?

Help please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

my mother has a christmas cactus too and it flowered at christmas and also just there recently. Have you been moving it around or do you leave it in the same place all the time? It is best to leave them in the same place and especially when it's in flower. As far as I know, you can just plant the bits that fall off into another pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

nipplenuts, I would have the same question as chuckles30.
    Has any of the environmental conditions changed recently...... light, heat, air flow, watering, feeding.
    Have a look at this article Christmas cactus to see what what conditions the Christmas cactus prefers.

You may be able to propagate the pieces that fall off, it all depends on what caused them to fall, and how alive the cells are within the fallen piece.
    The common method of propagation is to cut off a healthy stem with several segments on it.
    This then left to dry in a shady location for two or three days before potting into a mix of 1/2 horticultural sand and 1/2 potting compost.
    Ensure that at least one of the segments is under the soil, for support and to create roots.
    Place the potted cuttings on a windowsill with indirect sunlight in a warm room, and keep watered.
    Christmas cactus cuttings will usually wilt before reviving and putting on roots, so don,t worry if this happens.
    Take a few sets of cutting to factor in failures.
    Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Thanks folks. Yes it got moved. We were decorating and it went outdoors for about a month before anyone remembered it. And it was in bud when it came back in. It has since shed three big branches and is now about half it's original size.

I'll read up the article linked and try to grow some of the bits as per instructions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I'd say the whole moving thing is the problem. I know that my mother wouldn't move hers as much as 1/2 an inch once the buds come. I don't know why but movement and flowering cactuses in bud is not good.

Advertisement