Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are the Xbox 360's in the shops now better built/more reliable than last Xmas?

• 09-07-2007 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 360 and it's giving me some problems with unreadable disks on new games, not happening a lot, but occasionally as in around 4 times a week, i only play it on a good day when I have time for maybe a few hours.

My question is are the 360 consoles in the shops now better built/more reliable than the ones that were available last Xmas cos I am contemplating bringing it back under the retail one year warranty and get a new one if this continues.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Also, when you bring the console back to the retailer? Do they give you a new one year retail warranty or does it still continue under your old one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

All 360's have a three year warranty.

I know that. I'm referring to the retail warranty where you bring it back to the shop if it's under a year and they give you a new console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I doubt there have been any changes to the hardware on the ones in the store. However one coming back from repair will likely have a fancy new heatsink that is much more effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

cheesedude wrote:
    I know that. I'm referring to the retail warranty where you bring it back to the shop if it's under a year and they give you a new console.

Are you serious? Give you a brand new one? Just because you want one?

Theres no such thing :rolleyes: Yet another person who thinks he knows his "rights"... I find that so irritating and im so glad i dont work in retail anymore :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

All 360's have a three year warranty.

They all have a 2 year warranty.

The 3 year is for red ring of death faults only.

They all have a 2 year warranty.

The 3 year is for red ring of death faults only.

I dont think theyre narrowing down a partcular fault they're going to cover it for manafacurers defects for three years is what i got from the press release.

We're announcing today a specific warranty coverage that extends to three years for any console that displays a "three flashing red light" error message. So if the customer has a "three flashing red light" issue, we'll repair the console free of charge. Now, that's including shipping, for three years from the purchase date. So, whenever you purchased it, you've got a three-year warranty from that date for this particular issue.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6173660.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 P992

All 360's are the same since the launch date. It's just they're better able to make games that can be used on the console, without any crashes or graphical glitches.

Also, 80 GB PS3's are being put under the exact same specifications as the 60GB
    but just with a bigger hard drive. I've heard problems about the faulty blu-ray drive, but they aren't going to fix it. They just hope that enough people will buy them when they make price cuts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Theres no such thing :rolleyes: Yet another person who thinks he knows his "rights"... I find that so irritating and im so glad i dont work in retail anymore :mad:

no because his xbox is not reading discs intermitently i'm having the same problem and am going in to get mine exchanged at the weekend as it is a fault with the machine (discs are perfectly clean)

that IS your consumer right :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

miju wrote:
    no because his xbox is not reading discs intermitently i'm having the same problem and am going in to get mine exchanged at the weekend as it is a fault with the machine (discs are perfectly clean)

that IS your consumer right :rolleyes:

If you walk into any irish retail store and they exchange an xbox over the counter for you without having to send it back to microsoft first for testing ill post you twenty euro. Good luck with that one im so glad so many people know thier rights these days makes proving them wrong all the more fun :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

If you walk into any irish retail store and they exchange an xbox over the counter for you without having to send it back to microsoft first for testing ill post you twenty euro. Good luck with that one im so glad so many people know thier rights these days makes proving them wrong all the more fun :p

i'm with Royce Ripe Storm here. 28 days fine, but after 28 days retailers can make the assumption that your product worked when it left the store. after that you're into manufacturers guarintee, which involves you getting in touch with MS, or going through a retailer to get a refurb console...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

I did just that earlier in the year, can I pm you my address for the twenty euro? :) Game Store in Bray, had called to explain the issue, they told me to bring it, we set it up and they seen the fault. Immedate swap out for brand new console.

Cheerio
    Howard

you can bank on that Nailer, I do actually know my rights VERY well I worked in frontline customer service for Hotpoint for 2 years so you get to learn the law fairly quickly or get hung out to dry by the caller ;)

i love how retail people always thinks a complainer doesnt know they're entitlements
    i'm with Nailer here. 28 days fine, but after 28 days retailers can make the assumption that your product worked when it left the store. after that you're into manufacturers guarintee, which involves you getting in touch with MS, or going through a retailer to get a refurb console...

there ye are was wondering if you were still knocking about boards these days :)

doesnt matter if it worked when it left the store ,its not working properly now and after an unreasonable short time its now working properly which means it aint fit for its purpose . microsoft have nothing to do with me nor Game they're the manufactures and thats it. the law is the law ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

id be careful where i offer that 20 quid mate.,lol., there are places that do it, i brought a ps2 back to smiths a few years ago after about 6months and they just changed it no questions asked. i rekon a lot of places would want to send it away to be checked but there are places that just change them.,

Go look in the mirror and have a few words with yourself because you clearly know sweet f all.

You also probably don't work in retail anymore because you got sacked for being incompetent, that's what I would do anyway if i was your boss you grumpy know it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If its a known fault, they sometimes do do a swap, but its usually the shop who does it on their own back, rather than the manufacture giving the refund.

No difference to you, as you still get your money, or new machine, but its correct in saying that they (the manufacture) won't just give you a new machine there and then without trying to repair it.
    Currently, any Xbox 360 is covered by a one year manufacturer’s warranty (two years in some parts of the world). If the console is out of warranty, there is a charge to have it repaired.
    Unless it flashes red, you get a years warranty, or 2 years warranty, depending on what country you're in.

=-=

Nailer: you may be thinking PC/notebooks. From looking at the warranty, it looks a good bit different than a PC/notebook warranty. Esp the "we'll replace it straight away" that store's seem to have, according to the above posters. Having dealt with (and still dealing with) PC/notebook support, we don't issue refunds left, right, and centre (esp as the notebook is usually visably damaged when the store see's it), but some of the store's do, as they want to "save face", as they don't want to loose the customer. Unsure how the console warranty's work, though.

the_syco wrote:
    If its a known fault, they sometimes do do a swap, but its usually the shop who does it on their own back, rather than the manufacture giving the refund.

No difference to you, as you still get your money, or new machine, but its correct in saying that they (the manufacture) won't just give you a new machine there and then without trying to repair it.

Unless it flashes red, you get a years warranty, or 2 years warranty, depending on what country you're in.

=-=

Nailer: you may be thinking PC/notebooks. From looking at the warranty, it looks a good bit different than a PC/notebook warranty. Esp the "we'll replace it straight away" that store's seem to have, according to the above posters. Having dealt with (and still dealing with) PC/notebook support, we don't issue refunds left, right, and centre (esp as the notebook is usually visably damaged when the store see's it), but some of the store's do, as they want to "save face", as they don't want to loose the customer. Unsure how the console warranty's work, though.

We're announcing today a specific warranty coverage that extends to three years for any console that displays a "three flashing red light" error message. So if the customer has a "three flashing red light" issue, we'll repair the console free of charge. Now, that's including shipping, for three years from the purchase date. So, whenever you purchased it, you've got a three-year warranty from that date for this particular issue.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6173660.html

Directly from Peter Moore, Xbox devision of Microsoft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Thats what happened to me. I explained that it was broken and they replaced it on the spot.

HMV do it all the time.

I'm glad you don't work in retail anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,268 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I hope you'll all be hitting Nailer up for the €20!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Well i won't, i get the feeling he needs it more than i do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Fony Tenton

Thats what happened to me. I explained that it was broken and they replaced it on the spot.

HMV do it all the time.

I'm glad you don't work in retail anymore.

Bought mine in HMV in january,raging i didnt just bring it back instead of posting it off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Ive heard hundreds of stories of people bringing thier xbox back to the shop rather than MS if it was under a year old. I was considering doing it this weekend as the new xbox i got is giving me **** with its CD drive. I even asked in GAME about it and sadly i didnt have a receipt for my old xbox, but they said as long as i had a reciept it shouldnt have been a problem.
    Nailer probably just worked in a ****ty shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

0ubliette wrote:
    Ive heard hundreds of stories of people bringing thier xbox back to the shop rather than MS if it was under a year old.
    This is rather f*cked up, tbh. But as I said, console's seem to be a different ball game. Probably cos they know that they're using the cheapest parts possible, and that their sh|t is breaking down a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

GAME will replace it over the counter within a year (with a receipt.. and a demonstrable fault). And to answer the original question - the warrenty on the new machine is a year from the date of obtaining it.

If the machine is under warrenty then you should always go back to the retailer.. that's where your contract is. Out of warrenty (but under manufacturers guarantee) ie 3 red lights 2 years down the line.. then you have the hassle of going back to Microsoft..

Has anyone had any dealing with Gamestop and bringing the console back if it's under a year? Obviously, I don't have the box for the console but I will bring it back if I keep getting disk errors on games which I keep in the most perfect condition possible.

not having the packaging doesnt effect your consumer rights in any way cheesedude

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

qj.net did some articles on this and there have been no hardware changes to ease the heat build up on the GPU, so, all you end up doing is delaying the ring of deathby a year or so, I'm on my 2nd 360 since launch and itscurrently making a massive racket from the fans while playing games and sometimes the drive stutters resulting in breaks in music, especially during DiRT, time for another one I think, not a machine I think will last in my collection, definitely the least durable console I own, and I've got stuff from the mid 70's that works fine :(

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

Does anyone know if them cooler fans work on cooling the 360 and if they prevent the thing from breaking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Antamojo wrote:
    Does anyone know if them cooler fans work on cooling the 360 and if they prevent the thing from breaking?

Do you mean the units that you attach to the back of your xbox and plug the power into? Nyoko intercoolers or something...

If it's them then no they don't work, they actually feck up your 360, often leaving scorch marks which invalidate any guarantee you had.

Advertisement